Thread: Vacation at nursing?

Vacation at nursing?

Is it possible that I can spend 3 nights in a nursing home to get away from my 2 pca's. I'm tired of them bitching about each other. They get 5 to 6 hours a day and actually do 2 hours work. I'm really tired and I might fire both of them. They got it made. I told them go work at a nursing home and see what it's like to run around for 8 hrs.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Don't know if it's possible, but you can dream, can't you?!
    And sorry to hear your life is being compromised by broken persons.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Don't know if it's possible, but you can dream, can't you?!
    And sorry to hear your life is being compromised by broken persons.
    I think I'll just tell them are we done? Yes? OK now go home. I told my morning PCA last month don't come in tomorrow, with no explanation. I had my sister feed me in bed. That is my extent of care some days. If I knew of nursing home that offered single rooms I'd be out of here fast. I had a good life.
    Bob Seger

I bet you could find a nursing home to take you in for a few days if you offered to pay cash. Might have to call around a bit until you found someone willing to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    I think I'll just tell them are we done? Yes? OK now go home. I told my morning PCA last month don't come in tomorrow, with no explanation. I had my sister feed me in bed. That is my extent of care some days. If I knew of nursing home that offered single rooms I'd be out of here fast. I had a good life.
    I looked at your profile. Audiophile? Me too, and I play trumpet as much as possible. Music is transformative.
    Apple trees? Tell us a little; it will probably be more therapeutic than complaining about something that looks like you can fix?
    What is your level? I wish I could help.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

You would have to pay for this unless you have long-term care insurance or a private insurance that covers respite care, and few facilities would consider this for a stay of less than 1-2 weeks. Might be better to try replacing these PCA's.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Do you have anyone who might deliver this message for you more firmly than is comfortable for you? I’m not sure I understand. Who employs these people and chooses them? I want to suggest you just fire them and find new people. If you hire through an agency you should still have the final word on who they sent to you. It sounds like you are kind, generous, and understanding. I have had many phenomenal caregivers. It’s also true that the worst people I’ve ever known all have been caregivers. Be your kind self, but demand the kind of treatment you deserve, and don’t tolerate any bullshit.
    Last edited by Random; 10-17-2019 at 08:11 PM.

I'll be back, tough typing today. (in bed using on screen keyboard).
    Bob Seger

I don't know your history with other PCAs, but if you have had others like this, and we all have, then one needs to also look at your end of the relationship, from initial screening to reference checking, training, performance correction when required, and conflict resolution skills.

I once had quite a serious situation with the PCA who I basically do not let back in my house after a final situation had forced my hand. It was the first time I ever terminated that way. Do not doubt the ability of pissed off people, terminated in a rough manner, to wreak vengeance on you in any way possible. If they are off the books you need to be extra careful.

Right after the termination I received a summons to appear in Small Claims Court because of accusations which were not addressable in that court, but nonetheless I had to go down there, use a mediator and shell out 500 bucks to get her out of my hair. Then I received forms to fill out from my state unemployment agency because they now wanted unemployment compensation which I thankfully beat back because they were terminated for insubordination. However, I never had coverage for her to begin with and it could have been a mess for me in terms of penalty.

So I would tread lightly, perhaps deal with one at a time, be polite, perhaps give two weeks severance to get them out of your hair and move on.