Thread: leg bag starter kit recommendations?

leg bag starter kit recommendations?

good day you fine CC'ers.

I need recommendations to get hosed for a guy who has never had to. 10 years post, nothing quad-specific. Currently IC'ing with 14fr hydrophilic straight caths. This won't be permanent, just for bad times...

Is there a kit you can buy with all the plumbing and deal for filling the balloon?

Confused. Are you going to be using an indwelling urethral catheter or an external condom catheter?

If the former, you can get a sterile insertion tray with catheter, but it will only include a bedside drainage bag, no a legbag. It may also require a prescription.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yep also confused at leg bag kits are designed for use with external condom catheter. Attached to extension tube then the leg bag with straps. Yes they do have kits that have the leg bag with straps and the extension tube. However you have to by the external condom catheter separately and they are ordered by size you use.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Confused. Are you going to be using an indwelling urethral catheter or an external condom catheter?
    If the former, you can get a sterile insertion tray with catheter, but it will only include a bedside drainage bag, no a legbag. It may also require a prescription.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Yep also confused at leg bag kits are designed for use with external condom catheter. Attached to extension tube then the leg bag with straps. Yes they do have kits that have the leg bag with straps and the extension tube. However you have to by the external condom catheter separately and they are ordered by size you use.
    Now I'm confused too! I am looking to go indwelling and I always assumed they drained into a leg bag. You're saying it's just valved and can't be connected to a bag?
    Forgive my ignorance. I have an extreme fear (truth: hate) for doctors and their cohorts so I can only go on internet-sourced 'information'.

I think they are just saying you can't get an all-in-one kit that has a leg bag with a foley. Need to buy them separately.

I am interested in this too. I'm a 14fr ICer too, but we are going on the Delbert McClinton Sandy Beaches Cruise in January with 4 other couples, which promises to be a week long party, booze being imbibed. If y'all saw my post about augmentation, my current capacity won't work well in this situation, so I'm planning on using a foley for the duration of the trip.

So I'd like recommends for good foley/leg bag combo too. Are the antibacterial ones worthwhile? What fr to use, if 14fr for IC? I see 5cc ones and 30cc ones for the balloons, I assume the 30 is an adult size? So many questions...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

GJ, of GJNL, posted many times with useful information on choosing leg bags and foley catheters, promoting the dual balloon type. A search might turn up some of those posts.

Here's what's been working for me almost 20 years:

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...gation%20Trays

https://www.medicalmega.com/medical/...4&sc_intid=964

I connect the leg bag right to the catheter and on my thigh. From the flip valve on the bag I run 3/8" latex tubing down to my ankle. I can work the valve through my pants. If I wear shorts I just empty it into a suitable container and dump. The bag is so big it'll hold a lot of piss before you notice a bulge.

I run a cheap(ish) 5cc foley, into 3/8" tubing down to a 32oz leg bag with a flip flow valve. I make sure the valve handle is on the inside. If left on the outside, it likes to get caught during transfers and then you dump a bunch of piss inside cars or on the floor.. not cool.

I buy my foleys from sportaid, like $20-30 for a dozen or so. You can get the leg bag's on Amazon for cheap. I'll put one in if I goto the bar for a few hours, come home, take it out. Right or wrong, but I reuse the foley and leg bag multiple times, just rinse them off... (No UTI's in years here doing this...knock on wood)

You will need the syringe to fill the balloon. I've used the same syringe for years, forgot how I even got it to be honest. Think I got it on sportaid or something.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Tooley I can help you out no problem. I think I know exactly what your looking for. AS I do this every day I own a dme store and sell urologicals all day long. I am not trying to sell you anything but I can email you information on what your looking for. You can email me at nick@indemedical.com or call me either or at 480-704-3870. Fyi I don't work weekends only during the weekdays.

Now I'm confused too! I am looking to go indwelling and I always assumed they drained into a leg bag. You're saying it's just valved and can't be connected to a bag?
    Forgive my ignorance. I have an extreme fear (truth: hate) for doctors and their cohorts so I can only go on internet-sourced 'information'.[/QUOTE]