Thread: Cable modem question

Cable modem question

My cable modem and router sit atop a shelf above my wall mounted TV and I want to relocate it to another wall. I recently got rid of my cable TV but kept the internet. The cable that used to plug into my cable box is not being used and I was wondering if I could plug my modem into the unused TV coax cable.

Otherwise I will have to call the cable company and give them even more money.
    Thanks...

should, as long as its connected from the source...

I chatted with customer support and they said that it wouldn't work because only one cable was "turned on" to send/receive the internet.

yeah, that's the one that has to be changed at the box outside..if you have coax cable outlet in every room, you have a box outside that you'd just have to change the connection over to that plug..

I'm going to have my dad try that today. It'll save him the headache of drilling holes and snaking cable through.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    My cable modem and router sit atop a shelf above my wall mounted TV and I want to relocate it to another wall. I recently got rid of my cable TV but kept the internet. The cable that used to plug into my cable box is not being used and I was wondering if I could plug my modem into the unused TV coax cable.

Otherwise I will have to call the cable company and give them even more money.
    Thanks...
    I retired from the industry after 20 years so it depends.

Cable company's are trying to save money so many of them are no longer running techs to turn off the cable and using cable boxes now on all tvs to control "truck rolls" to turn it on and off.

But some cable company's also put on filters on the internet to block out cable cross talk.

I would turn off both cable and internet and then sign up for a new internet only package and see if you can talk your way in to a free install.

Most people just keep paying full price for service after their 12 month promotion.

Our cable company is preparing for 5g competition so we got a new deal price is good for 3 years we just signed up for new service 2 months ago!

I was able to switch my TV and Internet cables and put my modem where I wanted. Super quick and easy! I tried to talk my folks into completely cutting the Cable TV but when my mom called, they convinced her into keeping basic cable in their part of the house.