Thread: Why new leg spasms? Looking for things to check for....

Why new leg spasms? Looking for things to check for....

For about a month or so my daughter has been having a lot more spasms in both legs....more profound in her right leg where it kicks straight out. Both legs are very touchy when touched for ROM....they settle down a little during ROM and then might spasm again when shoes are put on.

This has been going on for about a month and a half. Things we've checked....no UTI, no bowel problems, had an ultrasound in May and no bladder/kidney stones, no bone break that we can detect but hard to tell.

She hasn't been in her stander all summer/fall and she was so tired of the spasms she asked to use her stander. I noticed she was having spasms while going up...she did too so she went up very slowly. BTW, she has the Permobil F5 with stander.

What are we missing? Should we keep doing stander everyday and see if that helps?

We have appointments coming up with Uro again for another Ultrasound and with her physiatrist.

Has anyone used CBD oil for muscle spasms? Looking at a 1000 MG oil tincture.

Also, anyone have input on oral baclofen vs. baclofen pump?

botox works for mine
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

The baclofen pump works for me. But the spasms still won until I got rid of the kidney stones. A CT scan detected the kidney stones but ultrasound did not.

Save your money, pass on the CBD products.

Suddenly increased spasticity, like AD, can be a non-specific sign of pain someplace in your body. Stones, pressure injuries, fractures, etc can be causes, as can an enlarging syrinx.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks all. We've eliminated everything we can think of nails, no UTI, no sores, just had an ultrasound and that seemed clean, bowels running great etc. Botox is interesting. I'm worried these very increased spasms are pointing toward the enlarged syrinx. My daughter is ten years out from her injury at 22.

We have an appointment with her physiatrist in a couple weeks but the doctor might want to see her sooner.

Would be a little unusual for more spasms to start after 10yrs w/o some new underlying cause I think, but y'all seem to be covering all the bases.

Baclofen pump vs oral: my spasms and tone went ballistic 1yr after injury, legs went board stiff and glued together, and slight touch would send tremors. I tried oral, and got up to some high level(sorry it's been too many years to remember), that eased things a touch but I was blotto'ed in my head, no way of functioning. We decided to try the test shot in my spine. They come back at 2/4/6 hour intervals to test results, at 2&4 I had no improvement, and my Doc cancelled the surgery for the following morning to install a pump. The tech came at 6, and waalaa, my legs were loose as a goose. It was the first time they weren't trying to crush my nuts in months, and bent with no resistance. My Doc scrambled to get surgery setup again, and am now happily on my third pump.

Sorry for the novel, just saying that there is no comparison between the two, I am a physically and mentally functioning person with a pump. If you try baclofen, definitely start with oral, it is major surgery with persistent long term requirements of refills, dose settings, etc. If a small dose of oral works, that would be great, if not, maybe try the test bolus.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

The max dose of oral baclofen for long term is 120 mg per day (160 mg for a short term), which I was taking for years without any consistent relief. I had a DREZ procedure with great results. No pain and spasms for 5 years. Then the spasms came back. They can't do a second DREZ (don't know why) so I went for the pump. It greatly improved the quality of life. My only complaint is that the baclofen weakens the muscles above your injury level (even though the baclofen is injected into the spinal cord below the injury level, it travels upward all the way to the brain, affecting your entire body). It's not a huge difference but noticeable especially during transfers. Of course, the fact that I have shoulder injuries and that I am in my 50s also mean that I can expect transfers to be more difficult. But I know it's also the baclofen because I have decreased the dose and noticed an increase in upper body strength.