Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reluctant to use Gentamicin

My Medicare part D had it on their formulary and I could get 75 vials for three month supply and the co-pay wasn't bad. All of the other supplies are not covered. This would leave you out of pocket for the cost of needles/syringes (inexpensive), the large piston syringes for the actual instillation, and sterile saline, which will probably be the most expensive part.

For me, it would've been less expensive than using the oculus technology product Hydrocleanse once per day at approximately 45-50 mL per use. That stuff is not cheap.

I would check with your pharmacy provider to see if it covered and then how much it will cost. This will also depend upon how often you do it, once or twice per day. Regardless, one needs to determine the size (ML) and concentration of the vials provided by your pharmacy provider in order to figure out how much that will make and last at your schedule.

if u have private ins everything is covered including saline
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

It is pretty helpful to see how people approach doing gentamicin installation. Hopefully this is effective against increased bacteria levels for using indwelling Foley catheters. I have been using a supra pubic catheter for a while now … Anyone out there know about using gentamicin with a indwelling SP tube?
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Here's a link (thanks to annev308) to University of Michigan urology dept instructions for instillation in indwelling catheters
    http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/urolo...Indwelling.pdf

so there must be some support and evidence for using with indwelling catheters