Thread: Advice on pressure relief in bed

Advice on pressure relief in bed

I've read a lot of threads on pressure relief for beds, everything from padding techniques to overlays to full blown hospital beds with LAL(low air loss) mattresses. I've slept on a regular bed with no turning for about 16 years with no issues. I'm a C6 quad, 50 y/o now and I have lost weight recently and I am seeing redness on my hip and ankle bones. Should I try doing pressure relief by using a topper or a LAL mattress or is that overkill and would I be better off using foam to pad above and below pressure points? Or is it a matter of money? I'd like to get a topper like a Geo Matt or Roho or an LAL mattress but worry about cost or effectiveness in the case of overlays. Maybe people could share their experiences, what worked, didn't work and get recommendations from SCI Nurses?
    Last edited by redbandit; 10-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    if I was an sci nurse, I might be saying that it's all a matter of if you're able to shift yourself in bed.....mind you I didn't say sh!t yourself in bed, we all can do that and do that very well, I mean move yourself about to relieve pressure on those red spots.
    sci nurse, what say you?

I can shift some but probably not enough to relieve pressure points. I can start on my side then sort of roll backwards with my upper body, but my lower body doesn't move as much so I remain on my hip with maybe a slight change to the pressure point but not significantly. Unfortunately, I am an accomplished bed shitter, I proved that last night. Ah, the joys of SCI!

I have been using this for the past year it is fairly cheap so you could try it and see if it works for you

https://www.ebay.com/i/401879153619?ul_noapp=true

Nevada

There are turning mattresses, both LAL and foam over air chamber. None are cheap though. Not turning at all at night can catch up with you as you age, both skin and lung-wise.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Has to be hard not to move in bed. Myself my back hurts soo much am all over my king size bed including the floor a few times. About 2 hours in any position is all I can take.
    Art

About skin as you get older. I use a roho on chair in shower. I noticed round red spots all over my butt after getting in bed. They go away in about 15 minutes. Now I put a towel to cover the whole roho no longer have the red spots anymore. Have to watch things as you get older. Hate it.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are turning mattresses, both LAL and foam over air chamber. None are cheap though. Not turning at all at night can catch up with you as you age, both skin and lung-wise.

(KLD)
    I sleep on my right side with a pillow and left leg on top I prone for about 1 hr before fliping on side I wouldf love to sleep prone but cannot.. how does it affect ur lungs curious

A sheep skin pad on top of the air matress works well for me.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!