Thread: ?Gimme back my bullets?

Blog Entries

?Gimme back my bullets?

most readers here are probably too young to remember that verse in a Lynyrd Skynyrd song ;
    me? I?m happy to get back my hands;
    OK so no legs, no sensation, no triceps, No stomach muscles no chest muscles , No full diaphragm, no sex life, no bowel no bladder , but geez guys ( to any researcher willing to read this) help us get back our wrists and finger dexterity. i?ll take it from there .... i?ll be able to be independent, even make money with my hands, there was almost nothing I couldn?t do or make with my hands before this stupid accident. Instead I?m wasting my life away, everybody else?s time, being a burden , I could build everything from a birdhouse to a space shuttle , ......Just give me the chance guys. Forget about the exoskeletons, concentrate on remylinating our nerve cells. please someone care

It must be real difficult being a quad. I hear your pain.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I can not imagine no hands I did shortly for a week never have I been so scared but I did get them back I am very lucky to be as indepent as I am

Yeah, it would sure be nice.

I got about 30%- 40% of my hands back (avg of both) but laying on my back for months early into SCI screwed my worn shoulders, back, and knees (move it or lose it kinda thing). Atrophy has hopefully maxed. Retain what little I have is my only goal.
    So, Tim C., like you I could do damn near anything 8+ years ago. If we had been "suits" prior to injury, we wouldn't know what we have now lost. Hiring someone to put belts on my mower for example, pisses me off, not at the world but mad at myself. No one, no matter how close they are to you can understand this. Being half dead is a mind set I struggle with daily. Trying to look at it as the glass is half full is easy to say. The mind, full of ideas with no way to implement, will really screw with any quad, especially the prior creative and athletic.

Passive motion therapy requests got the following reply from my neurologist, "Mr Smith, medicare won't pay for massages". So that's another issue we deal with. AB's (including the expert SCI educated) will never get it and I was forced to accept that. Sucks.
    I looked at some used passive motion machines for my hands. Lots of bucks for what appears to be a fragile piece of equipment so I haven't gotten one (not sure I could use it without assistance). My opinion, passive motion and stretch is the best thing for recovery (early SCI) and retention of function after 5 years SCI. It also reduces pain by 2 levels or more (in my case) despite the pain during. Again the catch 22, it requires assistance. Daily sessions of passive motion/stretch for 1 week will prove my point (although that's a luxury no longer available for me).

We are in a new chapter of our lives we did not plan for nor perceive.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Yes, so many things I use to do...
    wait, is this the SCI version of the fish story? The one that got away?

I mourn the inability to do things I used to enjoy so much. All that real life fun I miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I got about 30%- 40% of my hands back (avg of both) but laying on my back for months early into SCI screwed my worn shoulders, back, and knees (move it or lose it kinda thing). Atrophy has hopefully maxed. Retain what little I have is my only goal.
    So, Tim C., like you I could do damn near anything 8+ years ago. If we had been "suits" prior to injury, we wouldn't know what we have now lost. Hiring someone to put belts on my mower for example, pisses me off, not at the world but mad at myself. No one, no matter how close they are to you can understand this. Being half dead is a mind set I struggle with daily. Trying to look at it as the glass is half full is easy to say. The mind, full of ideas with no way to implement, will really screw with any quad, especially the prior creative and athletic.

Passive motion therapy requests got the following reply from my neurologist, "Mr Smith, medicare won't pay for massages". So that's another issue we deal with. AB's (including the expert SCI educated) will never get it and I was forced to accept that. Sucks.
    I looked at some used passive motion machines for my hands. Lots of bucks for what appears to be a fragile piece of equipment so I haven't gotten one (not sure I could use it without assistance). My opinion, passive motion and stretch is the best thing for recovery (early SCI) and retention of function after 5 years SCI. It also reduces pain by 2 levels or more (in my case) despite the pain during. Again the catch 22, it requires assistance. Daily sessions of passive motion/stretch for 1 week will prove my point (although that's a luxury no longer available for me).

We are in a new chapter of our lives we did not plan for nor perceive.
    I know what you mean I still look at someof these gals and think what the heck you can do that why wait on a guy<no Offense> but I was single most of my pre sci I could fix most pluming issues bush hog fix fence load unload hay feed run a business swing a hammeruse a screwdriver was not afraid of work I shake my head but,,, it is what is it s

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    Yeah, the more time on your hands (pun intended) the more your mind messes with you.
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder