Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Van battery

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I Googled Everstart Platinum AGM 65 battery.
    Without prejudice, you CAN find anything on the net!
    https://community.cartalk.com/t/bewa...-battery/89080
    I find it incredible that any battery could falloff it's own fault this consistently; almost as unusual as AWest's two Interstates shitting the bed!
    Long stories abridged:
    *I had 4 batteries, customer supplied (which I resisted) from Autozone, that apparently were filled with water. Hydrometer showed nothing. 4th batt, I put meter on it before install w/customer and boss watching as I >demanded<, near nothing volts. Was ordered to charge it, I did all day, hydrometer still showed nothing! Customer and boss were pissed at me (some people hate being wrong).
    *Ford Ranger 2300 eng, bad starter, tried to sell a Delco, customer got Autozone w/lifetime warranty for more than 1/2 price. Each of the 3 I put on lasted 1-2 weeks. Since my install was not at fault, I charged labor each time. When the 3rd failed, he said, "i've spent enough to have gotten the Delco". "Yep, I tried to tell you", I replied". Sceptical so many starters were bad, again my reputation was questioned. Just to prove my point and I felt sorry for the kid, I put a Delco on it for cost and no charge labor. The kid never doubted me again and became a good customer along with his family.

ANYTHING electrical/electronic from Autozone is a gamble with odds not in your favor. I replaced so many of their ignition modules, starters, alts, etc (distributor), more than I can count. Infant mortality (engineers term) is very short with TwiliteZone electric/electronic stuff. Most times customer would say, "XXXX Shop just replaced that part."
    If you buy ANYTHING from them, make sure it's a name brand part that can be found at every other parts source. Their lifetime warranty is a scam.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I still think your issue lies in the van and not the battery, or you had defective batteries.
    I already replaced the battery in my van so I can't test it. But I still have the battery in the car. Water level was low so I added distilled water. Right away, there was an improvement. The water level must have been low from day one. Because when it was new it took 48 hours to fully charge after being fully charged just a day or two ago. After adding water, that time went down to 1-2 hours. While this is an improvement, a battery test failed. But why?

With the engine off, the charge loss in 24 hours was the same with or without the car connected to the battery. Hence, the problem isn't a parasitic load. With the engine on, there is 14.2V (measured directly at the battery terminals), which is ideal. Hence, the problem isn't the car's charging system, cables, or connectors. If the car isn't killing the battery while off and is charging the battery while on, what's left? The battery itself. These batteries were marginal to start and then failed due to low water level while sitting in 100 degree weather for several weeks without being charged.

You can't eliminate the risk of battery failure. You can only mitigate the risk by fully charging the battery on a regular basis, keeping it clean, and adding water if necessary.

• FLA battery - Drive the vehicle on the highway or use a battery charger at least once a week in order to fully charge the battery. Add water when low.
    • AGM battery - Drive the vehicle on the highway or use a battery charger at least once a month in order to fully charge the battery. No need to add water.
    • Remote starter - It's helpful in that it prevents battery discharge while operating the lift. But it's insufficient in that it doesn't charge the battery.

Personally, my solution is the AGM battery plus a battery charger as a backup. I usually drive once a month on the highway. But if I don't, I only have to use a battery charger once a month not once a week. Or something like that.

well my van has delvoped issues starting got it back 3 weeks ago started let run30 minutes 1 time a week started week ago Friday fired right up. with a surge of 5 feet coming my sis gave to get it move it inland would not even try so we got jumper cables fired right up battery is 22 month old alternator is fine the shop was supposed to have done away with the battery under lift. I don/t know but . I am going to expermint

undo the connection to lift see what happens for a week or so as several on this site said the same thing I am thinking they did not go direct but we shall see

A vehicle idling doesn't do a good job of charging a battery. Charge comes from current, which comes from RPMs. Low RPMs at idle means little charge. It's possible that the charge removed from the battery to start the vehicle is greater than the charge added to the battery at idle. Your effort to charge the battery may actually be discharging the battery. At some point you need to take the vehicle for a drive at high RPMs in order to supply enough current to charge the battery. Or else, apply a battery charger.

You should start and run the engine to warm up everything. The alternator brushes can get stuck from not running do to moisture. Had one do this on me and connected my battery tester to it not charging. Tap alternator while running and it started to charge. A few days later back to not charging then tap it again then it charged. Took alternator off took it apart and sure as hell the brushes were corroded. Put a new alternator in it never had another problem.
    Art

Got me to thinking about my winter van been about 3 months since I stared it. Sure as hell just went out to start it battery turn motor over slow then stopped. LMAO. Due as I say don't do what I do. Put it on fast charge and its already coming down on the meter.
    I have checked it this early summer and did the same thing. Did a draw test on it and it was zero soo that's not it. Battery about 3 years old. I just got lazy and did not charge it on my battery tender every month as I should. Gona play a few card games and try starting it and then check that's its charging on its own then put battery tender on it. Last time about a hour on fast charge it took right off then toped it off with battery tender after I make sure alt. is charging it. May do a draw test to make sure there is not a draw on it somewhere just incase.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    A vehicle idling doesn't do a good job of charging a battery. Charge comes from current, which comes from RPMs. Low RPMs at idle means little charge. It's possible that the charge removed from the battery to start the vehicle is greater than the charge added to the battery at idle. Your effort to charge the battery may actually be discharging the battery. At some point you need to take the vehicle for a drive at high RPMs in order to supply enough current to charge the battery. Or else, apply a battery charger.
    I understand what ur saying hopefully someone will be able to pick it up and bring it home today then I am gonna have someone disconnect the lift as I really think that the shop did not I got to keep it home as I am hoping to go to ga next week