Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Van battery

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    Having the AC running before you get in the van is super nice on a hot day.
    Just curious, how do you get the A/C to run when using the remote start without having the ignition switch on?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

You leave it enabled when you shut the car off.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    You leave it enabled when you shut the car off.
    You leave the key in the vehicle, in the "on" or "accessory" position, so the blower motor can operate? Kind of an invitation for theft of everything?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

No, you shut it off and take the key when you had the AC on.
    NW NJ

So, I've just been searching and it appears you can get AGM's for much less than the $420 battery you identified.
    The $420 battery was just an example of "best" available from my van. I'm doubtful that I would get my money's worth. But I will say that my original car battery (that costs over $400) lasted 13 years. That is probably because my car has a battery management system that charges the battery according to its specs and age. That feature is not available in my van. Hence, I wouldn't even think of getting that long life and couldn't justify the cost.

I still think your issue lies in the van and not the battery, or you had defective batteries.
    My car and van batteries are both Interstate batteries from Costco bought 6 weeks apart. They both failed at the same time under the same conditions. Hence, if it's my van, it's also my car. Maybe, but unlikely. I replaced the battery in my van already. But still have the battery in my car. I am digging a bit deeper to identify the root cause of failure. It's good to know.

But, you gotta get a new battery anyway and a 4 or 5 year replacement warranty is nice.
    I paid $149.76 for my EverStart Platinum AGM 65 battery. That price includes installation and a nationwide full replacement 5-year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Just curious, how do you get the A/C to run when using the remote start without having the ignition switch on?
    As pfcs49 said, If the AC is on when you shut off the motor and remove the key, then when the remote start starts the engine the AC comes on, without any key. My remote start requires me to put the key in and turn it to ON within 15 minutes of the remote start, or it will shut the engine off. But, during those 15 minutes, the van behaves like the key was in, except for the safety feature that if you push the brake before turning the key on, the engine shuts off (I have that happen many times).
    C-6/7 incomplete

I Googled Everstart Platinum AGM 65 battery.
    Without prejudice, you CAN find anything on the net!
    https://community.cartalk.com/t/bewa...-battery/89080
    I find it incredible that any battery could falloff it's own fault this consistently; almost as unusual as AWest's two Interstates shitting the bed!
    NW NJ

• That review is 6 years old.
    • The most recent reviews are positive.
    • That's a different battery.
    Last edited by August West; 10-12-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Any manufacturer may make a bad battery or even a batch of bad ones. That's neither here nor there. All you can do is your due diligence. The point I was trying to make is that AGM is a superior technology. Hence, people should consider it for their next battery. The drawback to AGM used to be price and warranty. But today, you can find an AGM battery for a good price with a warranty as good or better than a flooded lead acid battery. So the question isn't why AGM but why not? The only reason I can find is that they get pricey if you want their CCA rating to be on the higher side. Otherwise, I see no reason not to go with an AGM battery.

Having said that, I appreciate the positive feedback. If the problem is in my car or van, I need to know that in order to avoid a breakdown on the side of the road. I am in the process of testing the entire charging system. Believe it not, one does not need to be car shop owner to know how to test and troubleshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    • That review is 6 years old.
    • The most recent reviews are positive.
    • That's a different battery.
    Don't be paranoid!
    I really am out to get you
    NW NJ