Thread: hemorroid ?

hemorroid ?

are we more likely to get them i do a lot of dig stim and think ive got hemorroids whats a good way of getting rid of them

i have some calmoseptine ointment for a fistula i had i wonder if it would help on this
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 10-06-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Where was the fistula located? Have you had any UTI's with E-coli bacteria?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    are we more likely to get them i do a lot of dig stim and think ive got hemorroids whats a good way of getting rid of them

i have some calmoseptine ointment for a fistula i had i wonder if it would help on this
    Yes, hemorrhoids are common in people with SCI, for several reasons, including:

• Sitting most of the time when out of bed (truck drivers get them too)
    • Chronic constipation (hard stool) problems
    • Doing digital stimulation and/or manual removal of stool
    • Paralysis of the muscles supporting the anus and rectum

Ointments, etc. can be used to sooth pain associated with hemorrhoids, and reduce swelling, but they cannot make the hemorrhoid go away. If yours are bleeding a lot, or giving you AD, then I would recommend seeing a good colorectal surgeon and be evaluated for banding/sclerosing injections, or if needed, surgery. Unfortunately, they are likely to come back even with these measures.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

KLD, Can You explain why one procedure would be better than another?

That would be up to the colorectal surgeon treating you. The least invasive procedure is best if possible (banding or injections) but not all hemorrhoids, especially internal ones, can be handled this way, and surgery may be needed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

What do injections do? Just shrink them up until they fall off?

My colorectal surgeon, who's been treating my hemorrhoids for long time, won't band them. I believe if one is doing digital stim banding may not be practical as it is likely to be dislodged through the digital. He has other reasons as well, possibly the potential for other complications.

Instead, he does the sclerosing injections, typically a series of two or three scheduled a month apart. Those simply harden up the tissue and stop the bleeding, but do not cause it to necrose (die) and fall off, which is what the banding does.

I would try the injections first, as it is probably has less potential for problems.

I've found, having recently switched from a daily routine to every other day, that less dig stim helps. It more than offsets the increase in hard stool from going to every other day. Mine are pretty bad, but I'm complete so no pain and the bleeding is basically gone with every other day whereas it was regular with my daily routine. I also use witch hazel (just poured on a regular butt wipe, not the expensive pre-wetted sheets. This has a dual benefit: it helps shrink the 'roids and it can have a similar affect to dig stim, so it's a good check on how empty you are
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.