Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: effects of amputation

effects of amputation

I am 24y post injury, T12 para. Almost since my injury I have had wounds on my right foot. Initially I went through the medical mill including two skin grafts until I just tended them or it by myself and they were pretty stable and manageable until my foot went crazy 5 years ago.

Since then I have been going to wound care at least weekly and threw everything but the kitchen sink at this foot. I won't detail all this-too much!

I have come to the end and am resigned to amputation just above the knee. FYI, there are several conditions from my accident that compromise this leg; I think the remaining leg will be OK.

I'd like to know how impactful this might be, especially for transferring and butt health. I hunch that the descendant limb cantilevers on the front half of the cushion and partially unloads the butt.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 10-09-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Talk with vintage, she lost her lower part of her leg when she was hit by a car

definitely do a sitting pressure map after the fact if it comes down to it and find out exactly your pressure points and adjust properly....might take a couple different style cushion to get it right...ROHO will make special cushions, I designed mine and the built it for me..

Sorry to read this Phil. Complications suck.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get some relief from it.

Blog Entries
    Damn, dude. Really sorry. Be careful getting into your chair that first time, afterward, the CoG might be a lot different depending on how much weight is changing on your footrest. Good luck with it all.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Balance will be messed up so transfers will be different, at least until you get used to it. Good luck with it.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I am 24 most injury, T12 para. Almost since my injury I have had wounds on my right foot. Initially I went through the medical mill including two skin grafts until I just tended them or it by myself and they were pretty stable and manageable until my foot went crazy 5 years ago.

Since then I have been going to wound care at least weekly and threw everything but the kitchen sink at this foot. I won't detail all this-too much!

I have come to the end and am resigned to amputation just above the knee. FYI, there are several conditions from my accident that compromise this leg; I think the remaining leg will be OK.

I'd like to know how impactful this might be, especially for transferring and butt health. I hunch that the descendant limb cantilevers on the front half of the cushion and partially unloads the butt.
    Sorry to hear about this. I know another para who is a amputee just below knee and have seen him with a strap just above knee which he says helps with transfers.

Obviously balance may be an issue also. Alternatively maybe pray to God!

Talk to your surgeon about trying to keep as much thigh as possible; even a knee disarticulation. Your thighs take a lot of weight off your ischium when seated, so a short above knee (AKA) amputation will significantly increase ischial seating pressures. With no foot supporting you on your foot rest on that side, your balance can also be adversely effected.

You should definitely have a new seating evaluation as soon as possible after the amputation, and also some PT to help you learn any needed modification of your transfers.

Good luck. I am sorry that it has come to this for your recurrent leg wounds.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Getting this back to the top.
    Yesterday I saw my vascular surgeon. We will do this as soon as my cardiologist approves me. He is cooperating-I will see him tomorrow.

Still desiring feedback, especially from amputees!!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ