Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Wise Young speaks.

Dr. Wise Young speaks.

Dr. Wise Young speaks.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

What does the "most intensive walking training program ever" encompass? Besides "six hours a day, six days a week, for six months"?
    Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1 View Post
    What does the "most intensive walking training program ever" encompass? Besides "six hours a day, six days a week, for six months"?
    Good luck trying to get a real answer to that
    First off, these are complete injuries so ( especially early on) the people will need to be 'walked' by multiple therapists / assistants. 6 hours a day of that every day? I have my doubts...

I'm fortunate enough to be able to ambulate. I've been pushing myself incredibly hard for 6 months. I started at .4 mph and now I'm up to 1.3mph. On a treadmill obviously.
    30 minutes and I'm completely spent for the next 4 hours
    If I'm feeling fantastic I can do another 30 minutes at night...

The idea of building that up to 6 hours a day is about as likely as growing wings and flying. Ha.

Oh and another thing... considering people that did not do intensive therapy had no significant results, did the stem cells really do anything? Hmmm

I'm ASIA A, T3 Complete and "walk" with one therapist and a walker. Just need the right therapist. I've had to curtail my PT owing to work, but I still do an hour a week and I still make gains. How much are recovery vs. using what I've got better is an unknown, but I can usually advance my legs now (hip flexors) and my stance phase sometimes doesn't require a knee block. Would be interesting to try the super intense thing, but hard to keep a job.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I hope everyone knows that simply growing axons and connecting them to the lower spine won't mean recovery without literally learning to everything all over again as though you were a newborn. The neurons aren't going to attach to the same lower spine neurons they were attached to previously. That means all new signals for the brain to map and understand. Indeed, if "cure" ever comes it will necessarily involve intense training to map the new nerve pathways.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm ASIA A, T3 Complete and "walk" with one therapist and a walker. Just need the right therapist. I've had to curtail my PT owing to work, but I still do an hour a week and I still make gains. How much are recovery vs. using what I've got better is an unknown, but I can usually advance my legs now (hip flexors) and my stance phase sometimes doesn't require a knee block. Would be interesting to try the super intense thing, but hard to keep a job.
    I know we disagree on a lot but I admire your ability to try keep it up I can zombie walk in full braces for a good bit but it take 1 to be side me and 1 following with chair but dang feels good c6c7

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    How do you use your hip flexors and lock your knees with an asia A complete injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1 View Post
    six hours @ + or - $80 per hour = $480 a day, X six days = $2880 a week = $11,520 per month, for six months = $69,120
    alas I am a man of limited means

I'd like to think that if this proves to be successful then its going to be easy in comparison for people to experiment on alternative rehab strategies.
    The intervention is going to be the bit that is hard to get to market, after that physios around the world can play at different rehab strategies with no need for long drawn out approvals.

What would be interesting to me is if something like an exoskeleton that assists, rather than does everything would work. Things like keeogo or cyberdyne.

It will have to happen, its not just the cost, in fact it's probably more the resource issue of trying to find 3 people for every patient. There is already a shortage of medical staff in most countries.

One measure of success should be a reduction in need for assistive personnel and devices...
    Know Thyself