Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnets for attaching junk to wheelchair

Magnets for attaching junk to wheelchair

I went from a ZRA to a TRA so I have much less open room underneath my chair. On my ZRA I used to have a... well a purse for all practical purposes... underneath my chair that held my wallet, gloves, some extra cash, emergency supplies, phone charger, and had enough room for a stuffable jacket or rain jacket if needed.

Now with the ZRA I can't make the bag fit. I even got a smaller one and that also doesn't fit properly.

I bought these magnets https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with the intention of using them instead of straps to hold on to the bag where I keep my catheters and whatnot, since it ought to be relatively easy to take on and off.... sew a couple magnets in my bag and then glue or bolt a couple magnets on the underside of my solid seat pan.

Now I'm starting to think about doing the same with other stuff I sometimes carry. If I had a couple more magnets underneath my chair I could pop a magnet inside the pocket of my jacket or rain jacket and pop it under there far enough away that it would be tough for a thief to steal but I could grab it with one hand if I needed to.

I have a little maxpedition bag that I keep a phone charger, nail clippers, some spare cash and a couple checks, chapstick, and headphones in that I'd really rather continue to take with me, and underneath the seat seems like the most reasonable place to mount it at the moment. I'm just a little hesitant to start gluing shit or drilling holes in my solid seat pan because it looks like a replacement is about $350... though I kinda want to make my own carbon fiber one eventually just for shits and giggles.

Anyway, just wanted to see if youse guys had any thoughts on this or if it's a crazy idea. I got lots more on my to do list before I get around to this (cutting down titanium handrim tabs is the next order of business).

The magnets I'm playing around with are pretty absurdly strong, so I could glue them to the top of the seat pan (underneath the cushion) and they would still work through the seat pan so I could keep a clean look underneath (not that I really care about a clean look underneath), and no one would know it's there unless you stick something ferromagnetic reasonably close to it.

Blog Entries
    Be careful storing your phone and magnetic cards near those things or in pouches mounted using them!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Be careful storing your phone and magnetic cards near those things or in pouches mounted using them!
    Or a laptop or tablet!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Phone ought to be fine, right? There’s no moving hard drive.

credit cards on the other hand....

Blog Entries
    Yeah, with solid state electronics they're much less vulnerable to magnetic fields. Mostly immune, to typical magnets we encounter, but not entirely immune from some very strong ones. I only mention it because you said they were very strong. (Most phones and tablets have weak magnets in them!) Many laptops still use hdd though, so just know your gear!

(Biggest issue with solid state and magnets is magnetic induction, which generates heat and current, which, over time, can damage batteries. We're talking very strong magnets though.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My laptop definitely has a hdd, but it should never be very close to the magnets.

I have a magnetic mounting for my phone in my car which does not interfere with the phone at all
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

I have been using these.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W54R653
    They stick on quite well and are pretty strong.
    C-6/7 incomplete

I figured out a way to mount things using magnets without drilling holes or gluing anything. I was highly discouraged from doing so after learning the price of a replacement seat pan.

basically I put one magnet on the inside of my cushion cover (stimulate supracor), and another magnet attached to that one, but on the outside. This locks the two magnets in place relative to my cushion.

then there is sufficient magnet force underneath the seat pan to hold probably 10 pounds or so, so maybe a couple pounds reliably (dropping off curbs and whatnot without detaching). For the past couple days I’ve had a stuffable rain jacket (just stuck a magnet inside the zippered pocket it folds up into) and a little maxpedirion bag with a gaggle of stuff in it attached underneath the chair and it hasn’t gone anywhere (just pushed two miles through crap little town sidewalks to a brewery and it’s all still attached).

right now there’s enough force to hold it fairly secure, but maybe five or ten pounds of lateral force and it breaks free. Just get it within 2-3 inches and it magnetically jumps back into position.

I’m reasonably pleased so far.
    Last edited by funklab; 10-02-2019 at 10:00 PM.