Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving from wheelchair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Driving from wheelchair

Just wondering if anyone knows of any new developments for driving a van from a wheelchair with ZX1 attached. I use a manual indoors, but must attach it to my ZX1 whenever I go out. I understand there seems to be no way that a lock down for driving would work, and let me still have my scooter device attached to my camber bar, since the receptacle hardware for both must be placed on the wheelchair camber bar.
    I've been transferring to the driver seat from my chair (with ZX1 attached), but this has become very difficult. Hubby is a para too and don't want him to have to ferry me around and do extra transfers in our van to do so.

Just in general, isn't it unsafe to drive from your wheelchair? The exception is if your wheelchair back supports your neck. Otherwise, if you get hit from behind you could have another SCI.

I have heard of an add-on headrest, but haven't gotten that far in this idea. At present it's my transfers to driver's seat that are approaching "unsafe".

I guess I'm mainly whining about the lack of options for driving from a wheelchair. It just makes sense to me to be able to get out easily by zipping into driver position. I visualize a future when folks in chairs could select from a few options. Maybe "driverless" cars (that are already being developed), would be a possibility. I don't see much innovation going on for adapted driving.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I have heard of an add-on headrest, but haven't gotten that far in this idea. At present it's my transfers to driver's seat that are approaching "unsafe".

I guess I'm mainly whining about the lack of options for driving from a wheelchair. It just makes sense to me to be able to get out easily by zipping into driver position. I visualize a future when folks in chairs could select from a few options. Maybe "driverless" cars (that are already being developed), would be a possibility. I don't see much innovation going on for adapted driving.
    My son had the add on head rest, I can’t remember what’s it was called. It never worked right, especially for a quad. It was expensive, European designed and poorly designed at that.

My son drives in his manual chair, smart drive attached, and locks into place with an EZ Lock. It’s certainly not ideal as there is ZERO protection for his back and neck. Other than transferring into a regular drivers seat, there are no other options that I’m aware of.

This is a pic of a home-made EZ Lock bracket for a ZRa. Something similar could be made with a wider spacing between the two vertical tubes to leave room for the ZX1 clamp. I considered that for myself, but I no longer use the EZ Lock. I never drove with it. I just used it to secure my unoccupied wheelchair behind the drivers seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

same boat here to triumph. starting to research options. i dont use my zx often but when needed its great
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Same here. Getting into drivers seat no bid deal.Use a sliding board for back to w/c transfers. With the new van, the seat raises higher so almost a downhill. Still getting used to it. I know of a guy who uses a quick release back and changes out heights. Sounds like a pain to me but is an option. I imagine it could be as quick as tearing a chair apart to fit in a car once the person got used to it. Anyone using a manual chair with a lower back is crazy. It wouldn't even need to be a rear-ender. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

With we sci's are living longer, we're just finding the ramifications along with it. Most of us died earlier so shoulders weren't a serious consideration. More and more are at the stage we're at with bad shoulders etc.. It's a market that hasn't been tapped yet. Rather than the common wheelchairs grad students come on here for critque; we should encourage them to design a safe design for driving from a manual chair.

It's the homemade designs that bring fruition. Ridgid chairs for one. The list is endless. That h/m easy lock bracket has possibilities.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-11-2019 at 12:00 PM.

So glad to read these responses! I know there are others in the same boat. Aging with a significant disability/paralysis brings new needs/techinques/equipment, in order to maintain independence. One shining light for me is grocery delivery, a service that has arrived just in time! So funny that busy mothers use it way more than disabled and elderly folks.

pat nailed it. we are just living longer now........ i cant complain im dam lucky and healthy i just dont want to jack my shoulders up so bad doing a crappy transfer that i cant cycle everyday. all my injuries stem from insisting on driving a car for my first 25 years, should of went to a van sooner.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer