Thread: 11 years on I am finally getting my chair set up correctly

11 years on I am finally getting my chair set up correctly

A bit tired, I come to you as the only folks who will "get" my victory. I have been in my current chair since 2012 and this month attempted to get more back support with an ADI backrest. Mechanical work it is a slow process for me of assembling tools on the kitchen table, off to the bathroom to empty bladder to maximize my work time, transfer, then start work. Being a C5-7 quad I drop things often, curse, take a deep breath.

After three tries at setting up the new backrest it was finally clear the thing was defective, so I sent it back. During all that I realized I could adjust my simple padded nylon back a lot more than I had known. That was today's task. The back is now tilted as far forward as possible and lets me sit up straight without effort. In time I may set it back one notch, but this is a big improvement, and probably almost as good as a fancier backrest.

Brakes are adjusted- key stuff done. When my neighbor has time he is going to tap new screw holes and move the seat pan forward an inch, giving me better leg support. New wheels are being assembled with Gekko hand rims by the bike guy. It is well worth paying him $50 to wrestle my marathon tires onto the rims. This gentleman works out of his truck and home deliver service is cushy! Normally he would have parked out front and done it but today he said his wife is in labor and could he just drop them by on Monday? Hard to believe he even kept the appointment!

i am currently in the process of getting a new ZR with help from Medicare. As seems so common with DMEs, this guy shows an amazing capacity for procrastination. Things have been in process since late May and he still has not sent in the order to Medicare! That is not all bad as in these months I've figured out many changes from my initial set up. He may be as disgusted with me as I am with him. When it comes (Christmas?) The new chair will get the new wheels and be used in the house. This older ZR will live in my car and be the out-and-about chair. it will get larger casters.

It's a great plan, all I have to do is wait and see what goes wrong. Thanks for reading this, peeps.

Being a C5-7 quad I drop things often, curse, take a deep breath.
    NO SHI!!!!! Sometime I able to just laugh to myself and shake my head but sometime you reach a breaking point, but after a couple minutes of rant/rage and streams of profanity, I feel better and I'm ready to start dropping more thing. lol

Glad you made progress with your chair.

Your post inspires me to continue the fight. (Two wheeler elderly couple).
    Thank you for posting ordinary things that are really extraordinary in the life of a wheeler. So true about the trip to the bathroom before starting a project.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    NO SHI!!!!! Sometime I able to just laugh to myself and shake my head but sometime you reach a breaking point, but after a couple minutes of rant/rage and streams of profanity, I feel better and I'm ready to start dropping more thing. lol

Glad you made progress with your chair.
    It's such a pleasure knowing someone else understands, and that droppings things is not a personal failing. Sometimes I have to take a bathroom break in the middle =Mein Gott! How fast can I put the wheels back on???

I can relate to the "dropsies". I give myself 12 drops per day (yes I count), then I give it a break till the next day. Magnetic trays/cups are great for keeping small parts in. A telescoping magnet and pick up tool are always nearby too.
    Great that your doing the adjustments. Only you can know what works best. Hard to get DME's to understand.

DME's are basically like government workers. Cushy job, riding the clock, waiting for next paycheck.
    They have to make sure Medicare will pay them before they order DME stuff. The paper pusher is usually at fault if it takes more than 3 months.
    The doc that write Rx can add to delays if they don't work efficient and/or give medicare the correct codes.