Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Manual chair for c4/5 quad?

I will admit that I have been picked up and thrown in and out of many types of vehicles over the years. If I didn't let my friends pick me up I would have missed many great experiences.

I've never used it but what about uberWAV?
    Last edited by smity50; 10-10-2019 at 06:41 PM.

I'm not sure, but what I'm trying to figure out is it safe for a c4/5 quad to sit in a manual chair? What is needed (armrests, a high back, chest strap, etc? How are pressure reliefs done if they can't do it themselves?

Most importantly, is there any reason I shouldn't try to get a manual chair for this guy to use for transportation when it isn't feasible to use a van?

You may be setting him for failure which could be devastating. Have you talked with him about it? Don't rely on a therapists opinion. They only see us in our most weak conditions. They're trained to give a worst case scenario. Check with the quad rugby association or a quad athlete in your area. It's the athletes who can tell you best.

I don't see why a C4/5 couldn't sit in a manual chair with enough dump, higher back under his scapulas and armrests.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I'm not sure, but what I'm trying to figure out is it safe for a c4/5 quad to sit in a manual chair? What is needed (armrests, a high back, chest strap, etc? How are pressure reliefs done if they can't do it themselves?

Most importantly, is there any reason I shouldn't try to get a manual chair for this guy to use for transportation when it isn't feasible to use a van?
    Brad09: Have you tried Googling this issue, as well as searching on YouTube. I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube demonstrating numerous issues related to paralyzed persons, transfers, etc.

Also, you mentioned earlier that there are other quads in power wheelchairs at this facility. My point of view is to focus on his use of his power chair in which there is, hopefully, already a pressure relief procedure, and investigate whether the facility with several quads, apparently does not have (?) a lift-equipped vehicle to transport them for medical/recreational purposes. That failing, what about public transportation in a lift equipped vehicle like "Dial a Ride", etc.
    Is there any room in this overall scenario to include these other quads in the issue of transportation where they may want to go? Otherwise they appear to be prisoners.

Political activism comes to mind when one's civil rights are denied.

I know your focus is on a manual chair - good. However, with a manual chair there are still issues of transfer to car, pressure relief. I'm just sayin' there appears to be more than one way for him to spring loose from the facility when he wants to.
    Keep up the excellent work!