Thread: Would You Purchase This Powered Wheelchair?

Would You Purchase This Powered Wheelchair?

Hey everyone,

A couple quick questions, yes or no answers would be REALLY helpful. Explaining why is optional but even better!

Would you ever purchase an electric wheelchair like the one below for $2000? Would you every try and get one through insurance?

http://www.discovermymobility.com/st...ite/index.html

Disclaimer: My team and I are NOT building anything like this. We are trying to figure out whether or not the community is actually interested in these 'cheap powered chairs'.

Thank you so much for the help!

Yes and No.

Target market is as a travel chair. Specific niche demographics.

No: If you qualify for a power chair via insurance, a more long term comfortable chair would be a better use of resources ($).

Yes; Buy a travel chair, out of pocket, if you don't have a vehicle to transport your bigger, more expensive, more comfortable, longer range chair.
    Also, if a person's functions require only short term use of a chair like this, such as a venture inside a shopping mall, and insurance will cover it, it might be a good fit.

Just my 2 cents

@Gearhead
    Thank you so much for responding. What you said makes a lot of sense!

Most of the community members I've asked in person didn't like these chairs at all. After awhile they came to the conclusion that it just doesn't make you feel more independent just by its over all appearance. They would rather keep their manual chairs than use something like this... I wasn't sure if the forum shared the same opinion.

Yes.
    You mention you asked community members and "they would rather keep their manual chairs....". How about asking community members who are sitting in power wheelchairs whether they would purchase a chair like this as an additional chair they could transport, take to vacation site, etc. (What Gearhead said).

Most persons I have encountered who sit in a manual chair (in my decades as a manual chair user), would not purchase this power chair - the feeling is often "power chair = less exercise of arms, less transportability, discomfort with self image, etc. I feel a chair like this is great to have as a "tool" that you can use when needed.

Most of these are marketed to the frail elderly who don't really require a custom fit chair. Most come in only one seat depth/width, and don't accommodate seating (cushion, etc.) customization. They may not have any adjustability or removal options for the foot rests, which can make transfers and balance an issue for some. Of course there is no tilt or recline feature for weight shifts, so for those with higher injuries this probably would not be an option.

All of these things add cost, but if you can deal with them within the price range you mention, such a chair may be a good option for some for travel. Insurance generally will not pay for a chair unless you get it rated as a medical device (vs. a convenience device) by the FDA, which can add a lot to the product roll-out.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

@triumph Thank you for responding. Your completely right. I shouldn't have been so narrow in who I asked. To be completely honest, I have never had the opportunity to talk to a powered wheelchair user on the forums so I just assumed most forum members were manual wheelchair users. Anyway, that's what I get for assuming!

You're the perfect person for me to ask this question to:
    Picture a wheelchair power assist that is a mixture between the convenience of a smart drive and the functionality of a ZX-1. Is this something that you think would be useful? My gut tells me that high functioning quads and low functioning paras would be the first to really benefit from something like this. I could be wrong... What are your thoughts?

@Sci-Nurse Thank you for pretty much always responding to my threads!

What you said makes perfect sense. That's a similar conclusion that I drew. I sent also sent you a PM!