Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessible yard/farm equipment

Accessible yard/farm equipment

We are moving to an 11 acre lot soon and will farm half of it and the other half will still need to be mowed! We want to find equipment that my husband can use too (he is a T3 SCI) to help out around the place. Any advice on hand controlled equipment like tractors, mowers, etc.? Also, any ideas for tweaking existing equipment for use?

I'm sure some members will chime in, but this resource may also be helpful for you and your husband (and get him to join us as a member too):

AgrAbility

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Pretty sure Mr. Mize is already here.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Some zero turn mowers are accessible. I have a Toro Timecutter that is all operated with ones' hands. I've seen Youtube videos where a disabled man sitting in a harness used a mechanised pulley system attached to rails to lift and deposit him onto the seat of a tractor that had hand controls. The only thing is, if you get stuck out in the field you are kinda screwed.

on facebook friend nick smith from ga he is c6c7 quad runs a lawnservice.. we had one my son put put me on I used a belt tostay on as it would spin on a dime but it had handles I mowed our drive way 1700 feet and front yard 5a with it

google it on u tube there are a bunch of para/s out there have fun

He got me to be a member! Thank you.

That question could be answered better by knowing how much actual grass needs to be cut. That will determine how how time he wants to spend cutting.

I'm T-1 T-2, I mow 5 acres of grass and bush hog even more. Up until recently I baled 30 acres of hay every year. I have a 35 hp Kubota that I pull beside a ramp in the barn to get on and off of the tractor. I also have a Sure hands lift connected to an electric winch to assist getting on the tractor. it only takes a couple minutes to go from chair to tractor. My tractor has a GST transmission, no feet needed.
    "Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

I use an electric robotic mower for 2 acres of lawn. So easy! There are many brands.
    https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...c-lawn-mowers/
    Last edited by PeteShick; 09-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.

I also have a Ventrac 3400 with several attachments for larger yard/property work.
    This is possibly the best tractor for your needs. 4wd, articulated steering, hydrostatic, HAND CONTROL, and a lot of optional attachments.
    https://www.ventrac.com/products/tractors/3400
    Manufactured in Ohio!
    Last edited by PeteShick; 09-25-2019 at 12:11 PM.