Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy and Transfer

Colostomy and Transfer

My injury is at C5-6 and I have always used a one person pivot transfer to get in and out of bed that is until I got a colostomy 7 years ago. I love the colostomy, but now use a hoyer to transfer because of the colostomy. My wife and I would like to travel more, but taking a hoyer lift is difficult at best. Has anybody come up with a solution? Thanks!

I have a very stupid question granted I am c6c7 what did the colostomy have to be to interfear with transfer ? I have 1 never bothered a transfer or anything

vjls,
    Your questions is not stupid, but my post was not clear. When we did the pivot transfer we would use a transfer belt and now with the colostomy the belt catches on the colostomy appliance. If I try and place the belt above my colostomy it rides up and is in awkward position for my wife to assist me.

A "quad pivot" transfer is a very dangerous transfer for your caregiver...exceeds the NIOSH lumbar spine compression forces by 400-600%. We banned these at our SCI Center in the early 2000s because of research done about caregiver injuries.

Check out two different mechanical lifts that work well for many people for travel:

• Molift Smart
    • Hoyer Advance

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Pati...9595139&sr=8-7
    I do a pivot transfer with my husband. Usually, I just grab the waist band of his jeans. However, when we travel I use a transfer sling like the one I posted above to put him in the shower chair since he is unclothed. I put it under his buttocks and use it as handle to transfer. Then I shimmy it back out to perform his bowel program and shower. Before I purchased the sling we used a hand towel.
    To get back in bed I put his legs back up on the bed and pretty much just push rest of his body over. Then I have to stand on top of the bed, grab his knees and pull him over, careful with his shoulders at same time positioning them as needed. The getting back into bed process is not graceful or pretty but works. lol Btw he is 6'4" maybe 200#. I am 5'6" and do not weight that much. The sling helps so I can reach. He is so looooong.
    Don't quit traveling. We are going to for as long as we can. At some point, will need to hire help or bring a lift along I imagine.
    Best wishes, Dana

NebrFarmer, I would strongly encourage you to look into use of a lift all the time. As I said above, these manual type transfers are dangerous to you in the long term, and can also put your husband at risk for a fall and injury if dropped. In addition, research has shown less skin injuries with use of a lift.

There is a lot of information out on the web now about Safe Patient Handling and Movement, which health care professionals have integrated into their practice, but should also be a part of what we teach caregivers during rehab now. These injuries are cumulative and called "repetitive stress" injuries, so you may get away doing these unsafe lifts for a number of years before you start having problems, but the damage is occurring. If you get injured, who will care for your husband?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    if I had to rely on a Hoyer lift for all my transfers I would still be in bed 18 years later. Hoyer lifts are great on paper and in institutions, but I never met a caregiver other than someone under 100 pounds that was willing to use one on me long-term .

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    if I had to rely on a Hoyer lift for all my transfers I would still be in bed 18 years later. Hoyer lifts are great on paper and in institutions, but I never met a caregiver other than someone under 100 pounds that was willing to use one on me long-term .
    Interesting. I have the opposite thoughts/experiences. I would trust someone to use a lift before I would trust them to physically lift me. Just my opinion.

Actually, many people use a lift in their homes, both ceiling tract lifts and mobile floor based lifts (Hoyer is just one brand). I know for my mother, having a lift allowed my dad to continue to transfer her into his 80s, and when we hired caregivers, having a lift to use rather than man-handling and manual lifting as a requirement made all the difference in finding, hiring, and keeping good PCAs. A lot depends on how you introduce the lift to the caregiver, the quality of the lift being used, and how you train them.

(KLD)

I have been using a ceiling lift for around 28 years at home and a mobile lift on trips. I would not want someone trying to transfer me without a lift system.