Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colostomy and Transfer

We do have ceiling lift that we use at home. I guess 12 years ago at Craig hospital is where I learned the pivot lift. Wasn't aware how stronly they were encouraging people not to do that any longer. I have a mo lift that we started with at the beginning. We could take it with us on vacation. Just when 2 of us, I'm already taking 1-2 pieces luggage for clothing and a shower chair. Dragging the lift would be a pain but understand that in the long haul would save my back. Thanks for updating me on the safety. This life is hard enough the way it is.

Craig was already out of date on teaching or using "quad pivot" transfers 12 years ago. The White Paper of Safe Patient Handling and Movement was published by the Assn. of Rehabilitation Nurses (ARN) and the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) in 2005. There was a lot of resistance from PTs until OSHA updated their injured worker data to include PTs and RNs as professions in the top 10 of on-the-job musculokeletal injuries. RNs and CNAs had been in that top 10 for years, and PTs should have been listed too, but data was not collected by OSHA until then, so they were not also listed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Has anyone had experience with this car transfer lift? Seems it would make it into more vehicles due to the adjustable bar. It is Aluminum ...not as strong, but less heavy and it folds nicely. May not last.

BestLift Full Body Patient Lift for Car Transfer PL350CT by Bestcare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJpd2qxNkI
    https://www.amicamedicalsupply.com/b...gaAlqCEALw_wcB

This is a new lift, and I have not seen it yet. It reminds me a lot of the old Liko Light lift, which is no longer available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KA7clbfn2I

While it does fold up, it does not come apart in two pieces to make it easier to load in and out of a trunk as with some other travel lifts. At 62 lb., that might be a problem for some caregivers. I would also want to see how it works for getting someone into a high car seat such as with a SUV or van.

As with all durable medical equipment, I would encourage everyone to get a trial use from the vendor before committing to a purchase.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.