Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Cutting titanium!?!?!

  1. #11
    Cutting Ti is not a big deal. I have used chop saws 4 inch grinders and even a hand saw. never had issues with color unless your cutting super dull saw and just cooking the metal

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    Cutting Ti is not a big deal. I have used chop saws 4 inch grinders and even a hand saw. never had issues with color unless your cutting super dull saw and just cooking the metal
    Right. Personally, I'd use what I have available. Seems Funklab doesn't have a Dremel. Personally, I don't mind spending $100 on a Dremel plus more for the cutting and grinding wheels because I like having tools on hand and use them often. Otherwise, I'd buy a hack saw and a file for less than $20 total.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Right. Personally, I'd use what I have available. Seems Funklab doesn't have a Dremel. Personally, I don't mind spending $100 on a Dremel plus more for the cutting and grinding wheels because I like having tools on hand and use them often. Otherwise, I'd buy a hack saw and a file for less than $20 total.
    I just bought a dremel. Gotta figure out exactly what attachments I need now

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I just bought a dremel. Gotta figure out exactly what attachments I need now
    You need an arbor and cutting discs. And be careful, those discs shatter easy.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,760
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I just bought a dremel. Gotta figure out exactly what attachments I need now
    dont they come with an assortment of standard attachments? Here is the cut off and sanding kit I have:

    Dremel EZ686-01 EZ Lock Sanding and Grinding Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007O7RHQ2..._lulIDb3G72Z12

    Mine already came with a couple cutoff wheels and drums and other bits in the package, too.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  6. #16
    The one I bought came with:

    Carving/engraving: 191 high speed cutter.
    Cutting: 420 cut-off wheel (x2), 426 fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel (x2), 561 multipurpose cutting bit.
    Grinding/sharpening: 541 aluminum oxide grinding wheel, 84922 silicon carbide grinding stone, 932 aluminum oxide grinding stone.
    Cleaning/polishing: 428 carbon steel brush, 414 felt polishing wheel, 421 polishing compound, 429 felt polishing wheel.
    Sanding: 407 1/2 inch sanding drum, 408 1/2 inch 60-grit sanding band (x2), 432 1/2inch 120-grit sanding band (x2), 445 1/2 inch 240-grit sanding band (x2), 411 3/4 inch 180-grit sanding disc (x3), 412 3/4 inch 220-grit sanding disc (x3), 413 3/4 inch 240-grit sanding disc (x2).

  7. #17
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,760
    Blog Entries
    1
    You're set. That's everything you need to cut (420/426 cut off wheels), clean up the edges (sanding drums), and even polish it up (felt and compound).
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    You're set. That's everything you need to cut (420/426 cut off wheels), clean up the edges (sanding drums), and even polish it up (felt and compound).
    Cool. I just ordered a set of aluminum handrims, so I’ll throw those into the chair and then I’ll have all the time in the world to cut and sand down the titanium ones. Plus the aluminum handrims can take the damage from the inevitable drops I will surely have as I get used to the different balance of the new chair tossing it in and out of my car.

  9. #19
    I just used a hacksaw on mine https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1...Saw/1000595407

    I have a beefy vise I used to hold them still. Didn't take that long and you can use either a file or if you have an hand-held angle grinder (or Dremel) you can clean up the edges to be smooth.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    You need an arbor and cutting discs. And be careful, those discs shatter easy.
    Yeah. I'm not a big fan of those discs that come 10 in a pack, or something like that. I'd rather buy 1 that's stronger.

Similar Threads

  1. cutting titanium
    By jschism in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
  2. cutting back
    By vjls in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
  3. Cutting Titanium
    By AO in forum Equipment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 07:46 AM
  4. nih cutting funding
    By DA in forum Cure
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •