Thread: Umbrella For Quadriplegic

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Umbrella For Quadriplegic

I think I can buy an umbrella mount for my wheelchair, and attach an umbrella, and probably open the umbrella. But if I need to close it to get into my van (to fit through the doorway), is there any way I can close the umbrella myself?
    "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

A good wheelchair poncho would seem to be much more practical. Why do you want to use an umbrella?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have an umbrella on my chair because (total 1st world problem/solution, I know) it makes it possible for me to read outside in the sun without glare.

There is a weird little setup on my umbrella that makes it super easy to close, and it’s somehow an eensy biner and a shortish length of accessory cord around the piece that closes it, so I just pull. I will try and get a picture?

I think the challenge you may encounter is that the umbrellas seem pretty tall and the one I have doesn’t telescope.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    I think I can buy an umbrella mount for my wheelchair, and attach an umbrella, and probably open the umbrella. But if I need to close it to get into my van (to fit through the doorway), is there any way I can close the umbrella myself?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A good wheelchair poncho would seem to be much more practical. Why do you want to use an umbrella?

(KLD)
    A poncho is a hassle to get on and off then you roll in to his van all that water is coming in with you!

all kinds of options

Note that the OP states he has C5/6 SCI, so would most likely have a hard time using an umbrella that requires pushing a button to open or close, much less dismount is from his chair independently. In addition an umbrella can be a real problem if it is windy; mounted on your chair you cannot change the angle of the umbrella to compensate, and risk getting a blown out umbrella that could also make steering the chair problematic, especially with a manual chair.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.