Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rmyelinating drug already FDA approved

Rmyelinating drug already FDA approved

Saw an article about a hay fever drug approved for 40 years that MS researchers in Univ of CA San Fran found remyelinate human spinal cords and speed up nerve conduction. Effects remain after drug stopped. Anyone hear of this? https://overcomingms.org/latest/firs...ARW0ljLyI0mR24 -Jan

Keep in mind that while we once thought that MS was a disease process that that caused destruction of the myelin sheath, it is now known that the disease process also destroys nerve axons, so simply remyelinating the cord or brain would not cure MS.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Too bad it is an anti-cholinergic that has additional side effects (fatigue, possibly long term cognitive effects) that many on this board would like to avoid. But it is tempting to think that if this drug shows benefit in MS, it may have benefit in folks with SCI, particularly incomplete injuries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4863555/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695184/

I am taking a citicoline supplement in the morning to possibly help counteract the anti-cholinergic effects of an antihistamine (otc Unisom),that I use for sleep. I am doing this through my own research because I have cognitive issues as a result of MS, Epilepsy and past brain injury in addition to having taken medication in the past as well as the current antihistamine. I hope it might help me to some degree. The neurologist and GP I see had no opinion on this.
    Love
    Jnanda
    Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Chronic Pain Disorder

Hello, in spinal cord injuries I guess myelin sheath has been damaged from a trauma so there are no further worsening effect.
    This may provide a way to restore myelin sheath in scies once for all..
    I think it may be worth to give a try, may be some recoveries, less chronical pain, less spasticity..
    Do we know something about clemastine regarding that ?..
    Besides there's not need to take it lifetime, do we know how many times it takes to remyelinate ?..
    Is it a question of weeks or years ?..
    Let's say it takes 3 months to get maximum effect from clemastine, I'm ok to order and give a try.
    What do you think ??..

Quote Originally Posted by George78 View Post
    Hello, in spinal cord injuries I guess myelin sheath has been damaged from a trauma so there are no further worsening effect.
    This may provide a way to restore myelin sheath in scies once for all..
    I think it may be worth to give a try, may be some recoveries, less chronical pain, less spasticity..
    Do we know something about clemastine regarding that ?..
    Besides there's not need to take it lifetime, do we know how many times it takes to remyelinate ?..
    Is it a question of weeks or years ?..
    Let's say it takes 3 months to get maximum effect from clemastine, I'm ok to order and give a try.
    What do you think ??..
    Yea, good question.

I would like to know how much (dosage) and for how long?
    What are the dangers and or negative side affects of Clemastine?
    Is this drug otc or only by prescription?
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    Yea, good question.

I would like to know how much (dosage) and for how long?
    What are the dangers and or negative side affects of Clemastine?
    Is this drug otc or only by prescription?
    https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...-2-trial-ucsf/

This is not new. It is about five years old and of course I can't find any follow-up info on it. Par for the course...

But it does look like they tested it on lesions of mice and had some positive initial results. The testing was going to be done with 5 mg doses.

FYI, it is possible to find online. You have to search it out.
    You can get a script for pet allergies as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchitsu View Post
    https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...-2-trial-ucsf/

This is not new. It is about five years old and of course I can't find any follow-up info on it. Par for the course...

But it does look like they tested it on lesions of mice and had some positive initial results. The testing was going to be done with 5 mg doses.

FYI, it is possible to find online. You have to search it out.
    You can get a script for pet allergies as well

I'll try it.

Clemastine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold.

webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-7141/clemastine-oral/details

Allergy medication?

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    I'll try it.
    IMO, there's about the same information out there about 4 - AP. Some preliminary work for SCI and then nothing. Just disappears. Not sure if that means it was ineffective or the work was never done. There are trials that say they are completed but no information / results can be found.

Maybe I will turn myself into a lab rat and take both at the same time combined with locomotor training and hope for the best.