Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Problems

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Why??? Besides the fact they were swollen.
    Your battery voltage should be close to 26 volts at full charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Your battery voltage should be close to 26 volts at full charge.
    Good to know. I was surprised the voltage was 24.3 with the terrible condition of the batteries. Still would like to know what would cause the batteries to swell up like a balloon. Never have seen it before on any car/truck/tractor/wheelchair. And I've seen a lot of them in 65 years.

Could be the charger over charging. The only way to find out is with a volt meter while the batteries are being charged. One test lead would go on the positive on one battery and negative on the other. If it reads 0 volts switch the leads.

[QUOTE=Rustyjames;1886265]Could be the charger over charging. The only way to find out is with a volt meter while the batteries are being charged. One test lead would go on the positive on one battery and negative on the other. If it reads 0 volts switch the leads.[/QUOTE

Should they be fully charged when you test? Or should you check when you first start charging? What should the volt meter read and would the reading be if the charger is over charging?

Check when you first start charging. Then check when it's finished and float charging. The battery should have the charging specs on it. After its charged, disconnect and let it sit over night and check it. But even if that all checks out it doesn't necessarily mean the battery(s) are fully functional, but it's a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I bought a light weight Pride Air 2 recently, it was the cheapest elevating chair that I've found and I like the standard seat. I'm usually only in my electric for 2-3 hours a day. Anyway, I got in it and turned it on and the power was down in the red. I had charged it the day before and hadn't used it since. These batteries had never even been in the yellow before, I always keep them charged. I removed the cowling and both batteries were swollen up and looked like they were ready to explode. Called the mobility place I had bought it from and then took the chair in to them. They said Pride was sending replacement batteries and they would replace them when they arrived. They acted like that would solve the problem but I think there may be something wrong with the electrical system or charger. why would both batteries go bad like that.

Has anyone ever had anything like this go wrong with their batteries???
    Dont over think it it could just be a bad cell and not taking the charge.

Pride know ships with cheap Chinese battery's.

Make sure your charger is checked out too

The last 4 MK batteries I had replaced were swollen up to. Replaced a tractor battery just this summer same thing. Swollen up. Old used lead is probably the problem. We running out of all our natural resources.
    Art

Has anyone ever used a volt meter to check the battery charger? Mine has the typical 3 prong XLR connector. I imagine they're pos/neg/ground, does anyone no which is which? Even if the voltage measures correctly the problem could be the float not working properly.

Anyway, Thanks for all the replies

On the XLR connector one of the pins is for inhibit. That one is usually the side pin. On my chair the top is Postitive and and Bottom negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    On the XLR connector one of the pins is for inhibit. That one is usually the side pin. On my chair the top is Postitive and and Bottom negative.
    If I get it wrong will it damage my volt meter? Other wise I will just poke around until I get the right two pins.