Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Static air mattress overlays are being discontinued...any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post
    I'm a somewhat ambulatory w/walker, partial SCI C 5-6-7. Have used static air mattress overlays like the Drive 14428 for years. Good for about 12 to 18 months. Did the job for me for pressure relief. Sleeping on regular mattress means waking up after four or five hours with generalized back pain and discomfort. I'd end up finishing the night sitting on a chair sleeping with my head down on a table.

Tried to reorder Drive 14428, to find it's been discontinued. Searched for other manufacturers. Thought I'd found one, then was informed by a distributor that my alternate choice also was "unobtainium". I suspect the once ubiquitous static air mattress overlay is heading for extinction.

The cheap air mattress overlays with constantly running recirculating pumps look like junk. Memory foam overlays over existing hospital bed mattress make me bottom out, resulting in the four hours and wake syndrome described above.

Any ideas for alternative that don't cost an arm and a leg?
    Not sure of cost but here is a static overlay that some have recommended.....http://www.spanamerica.com/cft.php

Quote Originally Posted by redbandit View Post
    Not sure of cost but here is a static overlay that some have recommended.....http://www.spanamerica.com/cft.php
    Not an overlay. This is a full mattress.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    The Roho mattress topper has served me very well for at least three years, but you still do have to turn 2 to 4 times a day. Fifteen static hours have caused me a whole world of hurt.

Blog Entries
    Check out my thread on alternating pressure mattress toppers.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...55#post1887755

Not sure how relevant this is to be OP, but I figure I'll post it since others may find it useful. My physiatrist recommended a Volkner turning air mattress topper. I got the Alpha I about a year ago, just after discharging from inpatient, and it seems to have done the trick for me. Can't say the same about my chairs' Roho cushions... I've twice run into trouble with keeping those properly inflated. Only thing to know about the Volkner is that it's very difficult to transfer into yourself. In my case that has necessitated a Hoyer, so I'm in the process of weighing the costs and benefits to reconsider whether I really want it.

https://www.volkner.com/