Thread: Pseudomonas

Pseudomonas

Will Vetricin do anything at all for a pseudomonas colonization? I took a culture about two weeks ago to the doctor. Came back Pseudomonas. I haven?t been to the doctor and have no symptoms whatsoever except amplified nerve pain. Will Vetricin installations clear up a colonization?

Perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it. I've had pseudomonas as a frequent flyer in my bladder is well over the years. As much as I hate seeing positive cultures without symptoms, most SCI positions would not treat such a situation. However, I've noticed that I don't seem to get fevers the way I used to when I had a UTI. Now it may be an escalation of my ever present pelvic spasticity/pain, color, smell, and premature voiding at lower volumes (I IC).

Typical urologists treat anything over 10,000 CFU. However SCI urologists and nurses say that even in excess of 100,000 CFU should not be treated in the absence of other symptomatology.

If you're prudent with the use of antibiotics and have supporting clinical symptoms then you may wish to take a course of antibiotic.

I don’t wish to take any antibiotics, I just wish not to get septic and die! Haha I don’t know what to do. have you ever had it culture out and not treat it without symptoms? I’m just scared of going septic that’s all. However, I’m not sure they would even treat me without symptoms. That’s why I was asking about Microsyn bladder installments. Didn’t know If they would knock out any colonization.

I was put on IV therapy Ceferoxime 3x a day for 7 days and it did not touch it all though the C&S said it was sensitive to it

Anyone with a chronic pseudomonas colonization, especially with the same strain found after antibiotic treatment, should be re-screened for urinary stones. Pseudomonas is a common bacteria in struvite stones, and the stone material will protect the bacteria from antibiotics.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Anyone with a chronic pseudomonas colonization, especially with the same strain found after antibiotic treatment, should be re-screened for urinary stones. Pseudomonas is a common bacteria in struvite stones, and the stone material will protect the bacteria from antibiotics.

(KLD)
    This is very helpful. I’ve been fighting pseudomonas for over a decade and did not know this. All of oregano has been effective but this is one tricky bug. When you’re referring to a scan that you mean ultrasounds correct?