Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for California, Florida and New Jersey travelers & residents

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    It is not a law on ground clearance under a bed because those that travel with lifts is a very small %
    Actually, it is the law in CA, which has California's Title 24 accessibility requirements. Title 24 of the state building code has a requirement for a seven-inch clearance under the bed. It is based on data gathered by Access Compliance Services in 2000 and updated in December 2010.
    Section 1111B.4.3):
    (2010 CBC) 1111B.4.3 Access to beds. Accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36-inch (914 mm) clear width maneuvering space located along both sides of a bed, except that where two beds are provided, this requirement can be met by providing a 36-inch-wide (914 mm) maneuvering space located between the beds. In addition, there shall be a clear space under the bed for the use of a personal lift device. The clear space shall be on a long side of the bed adjacent to an accessible aisle. The clear space shall extend horizontally to points not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from each end of the bed, vertically not less than 7 inches (178 mm), and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep. Note: This 12 horizontal inches is a restrictive provision that could be larger to allow for a deeper bedside table.

Source: http://www.stanoes.com/pdf/fpb/calif...lding-code.pdf

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Actually, it is the law in CA, which has California?s Title 24 accessibility requirements. Title 24 of the state building code has a requirement for a seven-inch clearance under the bed. It is based on data gathered by Access Compliance Services in 2000 and updated in December 2010.
    Section 1111B.4.3):
    (2010 CBC) 1111B.4.3 Access to beds. Accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36-inch (914 mm) clear width maneuvering space located along both sides of a bed, except that where two beds are provided, this requirement can be met by providing a 36-inch-wide (914 mm) maneuvering space located between the beds. In addition, there shall be a clear space under the bed for the use of a personal lift device. The clear space shall be on a long side of the bed adjacent to an accessible aisle. The clear space shall extend horizontally to points not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from each end of the bed, vertically not less than 7 inches (178 mm), and not less than 30 inches (762 mm) deep. Note: This 12 horizontal inches is a restrictive provision that could be larger to allow for a deeper bedside table.

(KLD)
    California needs to enforce the law! Why doesn't the ADA follow these guidelines?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    California needs to enforce the law! Why doesn't the ADA follow these guidelines?
    The Access Board (which is responsible for ADA standards development) does so with input from the public. You can certainly contact them to encourage them to include this in their standards. While there are no hotel/lodging standards set for revision or public comment now, you can still give input to them for future revisions: https://www.access-board.gov/

You can also file complaints within CA for violations of these building code standards, generally through the county, but it is a much more difficult process.
    https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCD...forcement.aspx

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Actually, it is the law in CA, which has California's Title 24 accessibility requirements. Title 24 of the state building code has a requirement for a seven-inch clearance under the bed. It is based on data gathered by Access Compliance Services in 2000 and updated in December 2010.
    Section 1111B.4.3):

(KLD)

I think its very important when you put something out there that you add context to it.

"The requirement you cite is a requirement of the California Building Code (CBC) accessibility requirements for transient lodging guest rooms. The 2013, 2016 and 2019 CBCs include this requirement in Chapter 11B, Section 11B-806.2.3.1. It is important to understand that building code provisions apply to newly constructed buildings and existing buildings undergoing alteration."

Derek M. Shaw
    Supervising Architect
    Phone (916) 324-7178
    Fax (916) 445-7658

As an major traveler in California most hotels are older prior to 2013.

But more important we are a community that needs to stop looking at the travel industry Arline's, hotels, cruise lines etc as the bad guys.

Is there room for improvement ...there is!!

But most here wont do much more then complain here and that doesn't change anything.

I have pointed out in years on this site and others successful ways to get hotels to provide the features needed to enjoy a trip.

Have even helped many here book and search out hotels, air flights, cruise ship needs etc.

Today I am working on a trips to Las Vegas, Dallas and Los Angeles for Ability expo for people.

So please stop the negative and relax and learn to travel with mobility and lifts and enjoy!

Note that this regulation was in place in in the 2000 and 2010 standards as well. In addition, few older hotels have not undergone renovation since these standards went into effect.

Not sure why you have to be so self-righteous about your ease of travel, which does not include the need to use a lift, as many here do.

(KLD)

Note that this regulation was in place in in the 2000 and 2010 standards as well. In addition, few older hotels have not undergone renovation since these standards went into effect.

Not sure why you have to be so self-righteous about your ease of travel, which does not include the need to use a lift, as many here do.

(KLD)
    Its important that you put out information that was not correct. Not self righteous what so ever if you read what I said I am working to help others travel that need help and 2 of the 3 trips are using lifts.

I have always offered to help those that need help in travel and to go a step past there are some here I have given my number to so they can call me and or text me if they needed help at the airport and or while traveling.

But this is not the 1st time you have posted information that needed clarification.

I took the time to get a true experts input on the subject.

I would hope you of all people would understand complaining on a message board serves no purpose and wasted energy.

When there are people here and else where that are more then willing to help those that need help in travel.

Didn't know that was a law. I understand how it helps people with lift but at the same time it hurts people like me that need low beds. My favorite accessible rooms are the ones where the box spring and mattress sit directly on the floor, you don't find them very often but I know a few places. There are so many types of disabilities and needs that it seems almost impossible to design codes that work for everyone. I sure don't have an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Didn't know that was a law. I understand how it helps people with lift but at the same time it hurts people like me that need low beds. My favorite accessible rooms are the ones where the box spring and mattress sit directly on the floor, you don't find them very often but I know a few places. There are so many types of disabilities and needs that it seems almost impossible to design codes that work for everyone. I sure don't have an answer.

Perfect example of all our needs are different and remember its not a law that covers all hotels its only California and only hotels that are newer which most calif hotels are older and it doesn't apply!

But in your case always call the hotel ask for the GM and see if housekeeping can lower the bed to accommodate your need for a lower bed.

Some beds and hotel brands have no problem accommodating bed height!