Thread: Fistulotomy

Fistulotomy

I had a perianal fistulotomy today, for someone that has no feeling down there the surgery was not a huge issue. I am most concerned about recovery.

I have major tone in my sphincter, which according to the doctor was not disrupted a whole lot, and it is usually a lot of work to pull out soft stool, even with an enemeeze. The doctor prescribed a lot of laxatives.

Any tips for a successful recovery are really appreciated.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

GENTLY.....

I had one a number of years back, told the Doc "do not cut the sphincter muscle", yeah right. He had to to fix it all. You will feel a notch in the muscle when you do dig-stim, it feels weird as hell at first, like finger is falling into a notch. Be as gentle as you can be, it's better to take longer than to do it harder. And you may not be able to get a full cleanout the first couple times, don't force it, better to "live to fight another day" than to hurt the healing.

I guess the sphincter is pretty resilient, I was worried about leakage with a cut in there, but it has managed to continue to do its job with no problem.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanks for your input. I am glad it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    GENTLY.....

I had one a number of years back, told the Doc "do not cut the sphincter muscle", yeah right. He had to to fix it all. You will feel a notch in the muscle when you do dig-stim, it feels weird as hell at first, like finger is falling into a notch. Be as gentle as you can be, it's better to take longer than to do it harder. And you may not be able to get a full cleanout the first couple times, don't force it, better to "live to fight another day" than to hurt the healing.

I guess the sphincter is pretty resilient, I was worried about leakage with a cut in there, but it has managed to continue to do its job with no problem.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I had one decades ago and it worked out fine.