Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: always freezing at night. Do you use a heated blanket?

always freezing at night. Do you use a heated blanket?

I've been using heated blankets for years. However, they never seem to last longer than six months or so. I also received serious burns from one of them. I know that it's not safe to use them as a quadriplegic but don't know how else to stay warm. Are you using a heated blanket? Or, any other suggestions? I'm looking at another system like this heating pad but don't know if I should spend the money. https://www.chilitechnology.com/collections/compare

Thanks as always for any feedback!
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

I don't recommend heating pads, electric blankets, hot water bottles, etc. for people without sensation. I have seen horrible burns from this. Better to use some or all of the following:

• Flannel sheets.
    • Down comforter with a duvet instead of a top sheet and blanket.
    • Wear long underwear or a thermal nightshirt to bed.
    • Wear a stocking cap to bed.
    • Real wool sheepskin under you.

Also, do you keep the heat on in your bedroom at night? If not due to the expense, find out if your power or fuel company has special rates for people with a medical condition that requires higher temperatures in the winter (and cooler in the summer).

The pad you reference above would go under you on top of your mattress, and most likely would negate any pressure reducing properties of you current mattress, putting you at risk for pressure injuries as well. They also don't do well with a lot of laundering.

Have you looked at something like the BedJet? I have not used these, so can't recommend, but it works something like the BairHug warmer used in hospital operating room recovery areas.

That being said, my late mother, who had MS, was always most cold when getting into bed. We bought a towel warmer, and warmed up a throw blanket which we put over her, under her down comforter/duvet, when she first got into bed. This worked well for that initial chill.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-18-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I use a heating blanket; I get in bed an hour before lights out and watch TV with the blanket on and then shut it off, otherwise I wake up hot. About a year ago I purchased a heating blanket with a timer, which is awesome; if I am not quite warm when lights out I set it to go off in 30 minutes.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I use an electric blanket to preheat the bed, turning it on about an hour before bedtime. I rarely sleep with it on.

I am always cold for the first couple of hours when I go to bed. Cannot get warm. Then a couple hours later I am hot.

The way I view it is that our legs are cold, once I get my legs warm I know I am good, usually an hour to an hour and a half under the heating blanket; I even use it in the summer.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by jeft View Post
    I've been using heated blankets for years. However, they never seem to last longer than six months or so. I also received serious burns from one of them. I know that it's not safe to use them as a quadriplegic but don't know how else to stay warm. Are you using a heated blanket? Or, any other suggestions? I'm looking at another system like this heating pad but don't know if I should spend the money. https://www.chilitechnology.com/collections/compare

Thanks as always for any feedback!

I use one but I do have feeling...so I put mine on the bottom and sleep on top of it because they are to heavy and hard to move around.

Ours also shut off after a few hours maybe use a lower setting to be safe. We also hooked it to a wemo so I can turn it on and off with voice commands from Google Mini.

We get one each year in the off season at deep discount.

Like endo-aftermath I have an electric throw for the bottom half of my body which I turn off when I get into bed. During the winter I use a very warm comforter which traps my body heat, once the feet and legs warm up, quite well.

This happens to me and a ski hat does the trick once I'm under the covers.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Night hat always helped the most. It also helps to increase good fat(animal) in your diet.