Thread: stones

stones

question thos hard little brown things in urine glad they going thru but are those stones? noticed in last week several a day about 1/8 t large had 2 large stones removed earlier this year

I drink a lot of water peach tea lemon water and lemon ade and coffee

tks

I don’t know but a urinalysis could check to see if there is an infection or blood in urine
    -drink 8 glasses of water
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

sugar gives me trouble

I had an augmentation about 16 years ago and ever since I was doing 24 hour urines I was consistently low in the optimal level of citrate, which is protective against stones. I have been adding lemon juice to my water and it has helped bring up the level of citrate before resorting to a medication. It's still not optimal, but it has increased

I don't know if it was related to the removal of the section of bowel and the changing of the bladder pH, but it is something to be aware of.

I have a history of kidney stones and was told to avoid black tea because it has high levels of oxalate, which contributes to the formation of one of the most common types of stones. Your urologist can do some sort of analysis of the stones to determine what kind they are.

Blog Entries
    For constant bladder stones clogging my catheter I started taking the generic of hiprex. Tastes awful but really worked for me. I feared side effects but I think it just makes the bladder environment very acidic, inhospitable to infection or stone formation I'm not sure.

I took hipprex probably about 25 to 30 years ago and stopped, but recently started again (31 years post). I've been taking oral antibiotic about 3 to 4 times a year for UTI. I wanted to try gentamicin instillation, but several urologists were not crazy about it and suggested hipprex first.

I'm not sure if I am imagining it, but myself and my caregiver both feel my urine is clearer so possibly it is keeping the colonization and inflammatory crud to a minimum.

I will see how long I can go before a full-blown symptomatic UTI and I will probably do a culture in a couple of months to see what's going on.

For anyone with a history of stones, especially oxalate, it pays to eliminate high oxalate foods and minimize the others that have low to moderate amounts of oxalate, and if you do consume them, do so with large amounts of water.

I presently have a 5 mm non obstructing stone in one of my kidneys. Urologists are not concerned at present but I wonder if even a stone that small, if it drops down into my ureter, whether it will give me serious hyperreflexia and bleeding and/or other problems requiring hospitalization.