Thread: To the COLOSTOMERS; question of bowel pain.

Blog Entries

To the COLOSTOMERS; question of bowel pain.

Yeah it's a word I made up for the CC thesaurus.
    Do, or did you guys get any significant bowel pain before your procedure, post?
    I mean like cramping, discomfort?
    I get and suffer from major gas, no dietary changes ever worked. I could get gas from saltine crackers. I suffered from gas before el-accidente' so I guess post accident I wouldn't cheat it.
    I take 1 ducolax, and stool softeners daily. I must shit significantly each morning or my body feels like I'm carrying bricks, always had fast metabolism, actually lost weight post sci. I don't spend more than 30 mins shitting so that's not my gripe. it's the gas pain that sends me off my chair screaming in pain nearly nightly. If I don't get elephant size I suffer all day until it arrives, not that often, maybe 1x month, but it still sucks when it does...a true day-wrecker.
    I sometimes get gas relief/escape when reclining, but I'm high tone, requires coaxing with dig stim even with Enemeeze during morning regime.
    I'd love comments from you born-again Colostomers .TY

I got to pass as I rarely get gas but I love my colostomy its freedom

Prior to the procedure, I'd have pain, bloating, and discomfort related to gas. Afterward it seems that the gas takes care of itself when needed so there's not as much pain. For me, it's not that there's a ton of gas but rather that it just needs to work it's way out.

I had horrible gas pains,miserable..couldnt sleep at night,clammy,tossing and turning. Had the procedure, its all gone..no more bloating,no more discomfort etc. Love it!

I don't know where my pain comes from. Sometimes it seems like gas, sometimes the catheter, sometimes things will seem normal but the pain is persistent. I believe that my gas pain is less now because it's not being held in. But, there is still plenty of pain. So, my answer may not be helpful but it is what it is.
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Blog Entries
    Right now i feel like a water balloon in a machinist vise, yet i had a bowel movement to write home about (for those of you that may so be inclined) just 6!hours ago. I don’t get it. Every GP points me to a GI, every GI points me to a colo-rectal, every colorectal points me to a neurologist, every neurologist points me to pain management, And the cycle just continues. no Colo rectal doctor believes a colostomy he’s going to relieve me of the gastronomic pain because it clearly triggers neurologic pain and unbelievable spasms;; or not so “clearly“ since The only thing that’s consistent is that after 36 hours of my fentanyl patch My pain ratchets up to the point that I just got to get in bed early and take an Ambien. After a few hours of sleep I wake up feeling less pain but not relief. Only an hour or two after the patch replacement do I feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Right now i feel like a water balloon in a machinist vise, yet i had a bowel movement to write home about (for those of you that may so be inclined) just 6!hours ago. I don’t get it. Every GP points me to a GI, every GI points me to a colo-rectal, every colorectal points me to a neurologist, every neurologist points me to pain management, And the cycle just continues. no Colo rectal doctor believes a colostomy he’s going to relieve me of the gastronomic pain because it clearly triggers neurologic pain and unbelievable spasms;; or not so “clearly“ since The only thing that’s consistent is that after 36 hours of my fentanyl patch My pain ratchets up to the point that I just got to get in bed early and take an Ambien. After a few hours of sleep I wake up feeling less pain but not relief. Only an hour or two after the patch replacement do I feel better
    How long have you used the patch? If the pain hits when it wears off could the pain be withdrawals from the patch? I've never used fentanyl but when I first tried to go off Valium, I had pain so bad that I seriously thought that I was dying. When I went to the ER (two weeks after going cold turkey) and they did an xray/ct and found nothing, I decided to go back on Valium and the pain went away.