Thread: What if insurance funded chair doesn't fit?

What if insurance funded chair doesn't fit?

I'm really curious about what to do if you get a chair that just is not working for you, but it was funded by Medicaid with HMO (Community Health Group). The ATP did the measuring, and the first chair came really badly fitting, so they made another- which was way, way worse, so they went back to the first one and that's what I got. They did some changes to make it fit better...but the big issue is the dump. She insisted I needed it to be more "in" the chair. So it's 2" of it, when I'm used to 0. Though my old chair supposedly has an inch, it doesn't look it. This chair looks really angled. I have a short torso, and my spine curves forward, so it's making for a ton of pain, and strain on my shoulders. I've modified it by inserting a cushion pad inside my Roho Hybrid to raise me up. But the depth and angle still are problematic. They also told me that the fender side guards wouldn't work on my chair, which isn't true, and the regular kind keep breaking. It's out of warranty, so I have to buy them myself, which sucks.
    I've had the chair basically for two years now, because it took them six months to even get it all done and finally delivered. Am I stuck with it until the 5 years is up?

DO NOT TAKE POSSESSION OF CHAIR AND DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!!! PLUS< A BIG PLUS< DO NOT ALLOW CHAIR BE LEFT WITH YOU>!!!!!!!!!
    I took a chair once that DME assured me the corrections would be taken care of within 2 months. Seating size 6" to wide and 2" to long and wrong cushion, a foam cushion instead of ROHO. The Rx/Justification letter was several pages long with very detailed sizing as well as products required, ex: ROHO High Profile Quadtro. Granted they replaced the seat cushion, so big it never used.
    I still have the chair sitting in garage after 6 plus months of 'no shows' and/or excuses I gave up plus decided I'd learned a lesson! It is a great reminder of never trust or believe what you are told once DME gets money from insurance.

Blog Entries
    What kind of chair is it? Is it possible to adjust it to better suit you?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My vendor, I believe most operate the same, required me to sign off on the specifications before the order is put in. Unfortunately, doing so places most of the blame on the patient. If the specifications were for dimensions that were acceptable and what you got was not the same, then I imagine you would have a claim. However, if you did not sign off on anything then it's word against word.

Did you sign off on the specifications?

The chair is a Ki Rogue. So no, can't adjust for the things I want it to. I'm even told I can't get the fender side guards, which sucks because their plastic ones constantly crack in the precise same place, after just weeks of use. Then it eventually cracks apart. I'm told out of warranty, and not something insurance pays for. I don't see why not, when it's basically a chair needing repair? And yeah, the stuff like dump, I had no idea how it would impact me before actually trying it. It felt horrible, but I figured I could add a wedge in my cushion to raise me up. Which helped a lot, but it makes the back further away feeling, and so I'm not leaning into it.
    So yeah, I've had the chair two years now, so it's not terrible. I just have had to accept hacks to make it work. Like the casters have always fluttered, so frog legs gave me an extra set of bearings, and that prevents it for a few months. And the seat booster, and some rubber on my footrest to make it high enough. I just would really like to someday get a chair that is dialed in right. I'm wanting to get one from Hands On Concepts next, because I completely trust them, and love that they're making the chairs very, very custom.

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    I'm really curious about what to do if you get a chair that just is not working for you, but it was funded by Medicaid with HMO (Community Health Group). The ATP did the measuring, and the first chair came really badly fitting, so they made another- which was way, way worse, so they went back to the first one and that's what I got. They did some changes to make it fit better...but the big issue is the dump. She insisted I needed it to be more "in" the chair. So it's 2" of it, when I'm used to 0. Though my old chair supposedly has an inch, it doesn't look it. This chair looks really angled. I have a short torso, and my spine curves forward, so it's making for a ton of pain, and strain on my shoulders. I've modified it by inserting a cushion pad inside my Roho Hybrid to raise me up. But the depth and angle still are problematic. They also told me that the fender side guards wouldn't work on my chair, which isn't true, and the regular kind keep breaking. It's out of warranty, so I have to buy them myself, which sucks.
    I've had the chair basically for two years now, because it took them six months to even get it all done and finally delivered. Am I stuck with it until the 5 years is up?
    I would contact Medicare and also the GM of the DME who was the DME?

DME is Special Care. I finally am getting the side guards, was told there was a change in design and now they will fit. I asked about a wedge for my cushion to raise me up and compensate for too much dump. So maybe just have to keep living with the chair until time for a new one.