Thread: Anything for a walking quad?

Question Anything for a walking quad?

I suffered a SCI & TBI in 2002. I was lucky to walk 6 months after. I have brown sequard SCI. My left side is my weak side. 2-3/5 in strength (hand, leg, etc.) Is there anything out there I can try to get my left side stronger? Stem Cells? Spine Stimulation? I tried 4ap like 10 years ago but my body didn't really like it.
    Last edited by mj23; 09-16-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

My left side is weaker. I have found that regular exercise emphasizing the weak muscles and equally weaker coordination, does help them improve. They are still weaker than the right side, but they are more functional than they were. Repetition to remember the coordination is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    My left side is weaker. I have found that regular exercise emphasizing the weak muscles and equally weaker coordination, does help them improve. They are still weaker than the right side, but they are more functional than they were. Repetition to remember the coordination is key.
    What do you mean by coordination? Balance you mean?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    What do you mean by coordination? Balance you mean?
    In order to balance one must coordinate a large number of muscles. I spend a lot of time noticing what I am using and where I feel it internally, then I get on my app, Human Anatomy Atlas 2019, and figure out what muscles I was using.

At the gym I am often trying a new machine to see if it gives me a better to balance my right and left side. My left side is the weaker one in most ways, so over years my right side got so much stronger that my pants fit oddly. I found one weight-lifting stand that allows me to clearly feel the workings of right and left gluteals. This was a lightbulb occurrance and I've been hard at that one for 6 months. It has made a big difference and now when I focus I can use the left and right glutes equally. that is what I mean by coordination.

Even if stem cell treatments worked (what is currently available is snake oil), they will not help your weak side get equal to the strong side, though if combined with intensive PT it could, theoretically, be a help. That is as much as I have figured out.

Like Tetracyclone said, you would probably respond really well to targeted physical therapy / exercise. Focus on building and strengthening your weakened muscles and improving your coordination / control.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Resistance exercises with an aide helped me strengthen weaker left side. Am considering using drug Tavist D. See my new thread about hay fever drug....

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    Resistance exercises with an aide helped me strengthen weaker left side. Am considering using drug Tavist D. See my new thread about hay fever drug....
    I read that post and it definitely seems interesting but is it applicable at all for spinal cord injuries?

I have a Perfect BSS so the doctor said. Left side was 99.9% and rigt side 0% from neck down. Therapy always helped. I improved slowly in the first year, very slow. Then I started to improve more and more as I've kept exercising. Therapist said work both sides equally as they are all connected. It's been 5 years now and I still find that I improve if I exercise or being active all the time. I find that all kinds of exercises helped: Lifting weights, walking 2-3 times a day. Walking in the pool, walking on the beach etc. Your body will tell you how much you can push. If you can, then just do it.