Thread: T-10 para using slide board//////////// not sure if this is correct forum

T-10 para using slide board//////////// not sure if this is correct forum

i basically use a slide board for the last 18 years thinking of ditching the board
    im thinking that maybe more stressful on my shoulders that already have some pain any thoughts do yall prefer board no board is it worth ditching the board
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I gave mine away after not using it in 10 years or so.
    I thought I might need one a year ago when I landed on the floor twice, but I have been studying my transfers now. It's funny, but I never needed to before, I just DID it.
    But with some good technical scrutiny of my dynamics, I've cleaned up my act and am good to go. I'm 72 and sedentary mostly, but pretty active if you know what I mean.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I use a transfer board at home in and out of bed and on and off the shower chair. I also take it along when traveling, mostly for those tall hotel beds. Otherwise I transfer without it. I could make all those transfers at home without a transfer board, but using it takes a lot a load off my shoulders and using it at home is very little inconvience.

How is your upper body tone? I am T9/10 complete and have never used a transfer board since rehab. I found it very annoying to bring along and I was much more fluid with transfers if I lifted and swung rather than used a board. I have little to no upper body strength prior to injury, but I'll be 9 years post in 2 days and my arms are stronger than they ever have been. Are you able to do non-sliding transfers easily? If so it can save you from doing any more damage lugging around a transfer board.

Since we're of similar injury levels, let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    How is your upper body tone? I am T9/10 complete and have never used a transfer board since rehab. I found it very annoying to bring along and I was much more fluid with transfers if I lifted and swung rather than used a board. I have little to no upper body strength prior to injury, but I'll be 9 years post in 2 days and my arms are stronger than they ever have been. Are you able to do non-sliding transfers easily? If so it can save you from doing any more damage lugging around a transfer board.

i have plenty of upper body strength i talked to a pt today ithink ill start going for a couple days a week for a bit he said he could show me some extra shoulder workouts that would help to

iride a handcycle daily and have a vitaglide and wheelchair bowflex

not sure of the showr transfers from showerchair to bed may still use a board for that

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I use a transfer board at home in and out of bed and on and off the shower chair. I also take it along when traveling, mostly for those tall hotel beds. Otherwise I transfer without it. I could make all those transfers at home without a transfer board, but using it takes a lot a load off my shoulders and using it at home is very little inconvience.
    was thinking the same thing with shower chair transfers

i am a t6 incomplete and only used the board in rehab, and after my shoulder surgery about 6 years ago for a few months till my shoulder was recovered.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post

sent you a pm

how do yall get from bed to shower chair when bare bottom transfersi cant do it without a board with a chuck wrapped around or over it