Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master bath granite countertop, sink, but not see pipes?

Question Master bath granite countertop, sink, but not see pipes?

Hi Everyone. I?m trying to come up with a way to do my master bath countertop in granite? It?s going to be a dual sink? With the center section having cabinets underneath and the one side of my fianc? uses having cabinets but the second sink having open underneath so I can get under it. Ideally as I said I?d like to have a granite countertop which usually has sinks that are flush and recessed? But I don?t want to have a pipe showing underneath? Problem is my legs are quite long, I?m 6?4... so they stick out quite a bit underneath? And I?m thinking if I put a slanted covering piece of wood it would likely need to be at so much of an angle pushing out that it would actually force me to be sitting away from the counter much more than I?m comfortable with if you know what I mean. Anyone else out there faced the situation? Have a solution? About the only thing I can think of is asking if they have pipes that can angle backwards more or having a countertop that?s deeper in length to provide me more to get under maybe? Or maybe go with one of those sinks that?s like a bowl sitting on the countertop I?m not sure. Any suggestions? Anyone got pictures of their set up?

Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

We used an angled panel attached to cabinets on either side of the opening under the sink to hide the pipes. When I get a moment, I will post a picture.

NL
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.

I don?t know if this answers any of your questions, but the sink has virtually no depth under the counter and the drain pipe is dead center so your legs go around it.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

When we redid our bathroom to be more accessible, we installed granite countertops and top-mount sinks. By using the top mount sink instead of the conventional undermount for granite, we raised the bottom of the sink (knee clearance) around 2 inches given the same usable sink depth. That made a big difference.
    Last edited by endo_aftermath; 12-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Thank you for the replies. It helps to see and hear what others have done. The clearance is definitely an issue for me as I bang my knees on my current sink because there’s virtually like 2 mm between the top of my knees and the other side of the counter. Disguising the pipes would be nice if it could be done without pushing me too far back but I’m doubtful unless it’s maybe a sink with the drain further back in it that might push the piping for the back? I’ve just started trying to look at some things online tonight trying to see if I can find something that I like aesthetically, and that my fianc?e likes, and then see if it would work for me.

Does anybody know if the pipe that comes down from the actual sink to the loop where the catch is, if that’s something that’s a set in stone plumbing code guideline that it has to drop a minimum distance and be on a certain angle and yada yada yada? Or is there any flexibility in the actual configuration and how it comes down?

What I was wondering is if I went with a vessel sink, one of those ones that the whole sink actually sets up on top of the counter, that might raise the overall height of that piping the sink… but I was also wondering if the piping itself can be angled in a way that instead of dropping straight down maybe it could angle back towards the back of the sink to create more clearance where the piping could be getting easier with off board over it. I don’t know anything about this song this question I need to ask my plumber guy but I was wondering if anyone knew offhand

I do not object to seeing a bit of pipe under my sink and it is convenient to clamp my knees around it to keep me steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    I do not object to seeing a bit of pipe under my sink and it is convenient to clamp my knees around it to keep me steady.
    Me neither, just trying to please the future wife if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Have you wrapped the pipe with insulation to prevent the possibility of burns? In commercial installation, pipe wrap is code.

NL

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Have you wrapped the pipe with insulation to prevent the possibility of burns? In commercial installation, pipe wrap is code.

NL
    This did not occur to me but I'm likely ok as i have temperature sensation on one side. I'll give it thought, NL