Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New home design templates / advice, please

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Wonderful about your plan! Just want to add that we are a two wheeler couple and in our home for 40 years - you might be amazed at all the disability related equipment and supplies we continue to need, especially as we are now elderly. I highly recommend a fairly good sized equipment room of some kind for fairly easy access to grab supplies, parts, etc.etc. off reachable shelves or cabinets. I'm not thinking this would be in a basement, but a handy location on the ground floor - maybe near the bathroom. Stuff that you don't need right away - back-up wheelchairs, parts, etc. can go in the basement. (P.S. We have numerous "back-up" wheelchair cushions that take up a lot of space).
    If you are "into" any hobbies a location for that would be nice.
    Great idea!
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Latest is that we found someone to do the necessary soil test to determine if we can install a second septic system. That will happen Monday and that's really the last hurdle before we can start the closing process - Yikes!

The contractor that does the Perc Test should be able to tell you about the site conditions for a basement.

Be sure to let your plumbing contractor know you will need some way to drain the outlet of a water heater drain pan. This way you will never have to worry about being dependent on someone to be immediately available to clean up the mess created by flooded basement due to a leaking water heater that you don't find out about for hours, if not more.

It is peace of mind.

Standard practice is to install a sump pump in a basement. You can also use the sump pit as a drain for condensate drains, water softneners, or other things like what crags mentioned. It'll also come in handy if a pipe bursts, or flooding.

We are also getting ready to build. I found this site to have some useful ideas, although it's good to see that universal design principles have actually progressed further than when this house was built. In particular, there seems to be a better understanding of the desire to create a house that's 'barrier free' versus a house that has more visible accessibility features. Interesting that when I started doing my research I found that many of the issues encountered were the result of the choices made by an architect or designer that resulted in creating barriers (e.g. thresholds, door sizes). If the design principle from the outset is to be barrier free then the architect comes at the project with a very different mindset. @crags - I love your recommendation for ample drainage of the water heater. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    Be sure to let your plumbing contractor know you will need some way to drain the outlet of a water heater drain pan. This way you will never have to worry about being dependent on someone to be immediately available to clean up the mess created by flooded basement due to a leaking water heater that you don't find out about for hours, if not more.

It is peace of mind.
    Do this to greatly extend water heater life, both gas and electric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IUNIUZz4Os
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

At the very least, every month you should bleed out a bucketful of water out of the water heater or until it runs clear to drain out the minerals that accumulate in the bottom of the tank. One should also open up the emergency relief valve at the same time to test out as well.

Good luck getting a plumber to inspect and/or change the anode rod.

If you do have any type of drain in the basement be sure to use a backcheck valve to prevent wasteline backup from entering your basement. They come in various diameters for various uses.

I make a point to read all of the documentation that comes with new equipment. I just installed a new boiler and it clearly lays out maintenance that should be done on a monthly and annual basis. I have an annual service contract which includes one startup visit in the fall. Yet when you mentioned some of the things you want done, they look at you like they don't want to be told what to do. And since I can't get into the basement, I have no idea if what I ask is being done.

I wish I can access my basement to keep an eye on this.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post

Good luck getting a plumber to inspect and/or change the anode rod.
    A buddy or neighbor can change the anode rod. I got my son to do mine last time. The aluminum rods are readily available at hardware stores such as Home Depot. The better (IMO) magnesium one takes a few days longer to get online or at the stores.

But I know what you say about trying to pay people to do what you want them to do.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I went tankless on my current house a year back and love it. Will likely go that route with the new house as well.