Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Rods and screws removed Friday

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Rescheduled for Monday the 30th September.

Best wishes to you. I've had mine in since '91. I always wondered if I should take them out. But if it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaynes View Post
    Best wishes to you. I've had mine in since '91. I always wondered if I should take them out. But if it ain't broke...
    I have a lot of pain.. and the rods could be the culprit... once they are out it's one less thing to blame etc.

If I wasn't in so much pain I'd leave them alone.

I had them removed for pain. It was a much bigger operation and definitely inpatient. This was decades ago. Didn't help the pain much but it did let them get MRIs which made it clearer what was going on.

I had mine removed for pain 5 years ago and it didn't help either. Just don't want you to get your hopes up. I was out of work for about a month to recover. I do have more peace of mind knowing I don't have all that metal in my back though.

Survived the surgery.

checked in at 5:30am, wheeled in at 7:30am
    Scheduled for 90 minutes took 2 hours. Apparently I had really good bone growth.

Kept me in over night.

Seems like the tube they shove down your throat for breathing has done the most damage, still recovering from that a week later, can hardly talk before it super irritates my throat and start coughing and end up with endless hiccups.

After surgery they gave me hydromorphine(dilaudid), which seemed to work great for pain relief, but then of course they cut you off... yeah we got something that works great, lets change you to some thing that doesn't work.. freaking torture.

Overnight they gave me a couple of liquid morphine shots, which worked somewhat well, but then they cut me off that.

Then back to oral oxycodone which is a total waste of time, plus combined with my throat just made everything worse.

There really seemed to be a lack of understanding, that my base standing point is an insane amount of chronic pain. And post operative unit is only willing to treat the pain of the actual surgery.
    Ironically the pain of the surgery wasn't so bad.
    But putting me in a small hospital bed with no way of moving just exacerbates my regular pain, add to the fact I had to direct everything, if I hadn't said anything they would have just left me and I would have had insane pressure sores.
    Real felt like I was directing people who were working their first night.

With all the opiods I as chowing down, I know I have to eat a ton of fibre, metamucil etc. So had to constantly request fibre, to no avail, ended up being quicker for my wife to go home and get some and bring it back, so annoying.

Came home and spent 2 days in bed, was just so tired, didn't get any sleep in the hospital, plus the constant hiccups kept me up..
    So nice to be back in my own bed, being able to roll to help with pain, and peace to sleep.

Was super anxious about my first bowel program, felt really delicate, but plenty strong and it went just fine with a little assistance, took a little longer, but was in no hurry.

Waited a good 4 days before the first shower, and then another day before taking the dressing off. Wound seems to be healing nicely. Wound site seems be giving me no really issues, just a little itchy.

Rest of my body and my throat are my only issues.

Overall it all seemed to go well and was no worse than I expected, would even say it was easier.

Surgeon said he would save me some of the metal as a souvenir, when it came to it he came up with real weak excuses as to why he couldn't be bothered.

Lessons learned, pack all the drugs and supplies you would if you were going to a hotel, don't rely on the hospital for anything.

The check in nurse, knows how long your stay will be, your surgeon doesn't. Surgeon said I wouldn't be in over night, check in nurse, told me from the get go you'll be in at least one night.

If you have chronic pay, make it abundantly clear you'll need extra pain meds than just that required for the damn surgery.

Be interesting to see how I feel about all this in 6 months, but so far still glad I've had it done.

Wow, what a horrible aftermath with pain meds that didn't work! That's good advice about preparing for a hospital stay as if you were going to a hotel. I'm glad to hear that the procedure itself was a little easier than you thought it would be, and certainly no worse. I think the throat pain from intubation is pretty normal, might take another week or two to resolve. The surgeon can probably recommend or prescribe a throat spray to help while it heals. Thank you for this update, it's good to know the procedure is behind you and I hope you'll have good results in the long term - as you say, it might take a few months for you to see what's what.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Don't attempt to take your own medications to any inpatient hospital stay. You will be required to relinquish these for storage during your hospitalization; no meds including herbs are generally allowed to be taken from your own supply while in the hospital. Better to have a discussion about pain management PRIOR to any hospitalization or surgery with the surgeon and anesthesiologist involved in your case.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hi KLD,
    I completely respect your point. and in a perfect world I would hope that's how it would have been.
    but after my experience, I want a planB if I ever go into hospital again, as when it comes down to it, I am the only one who cares about my pain.

Ironically I chose this hospital for the surgery as it has the main spinal unit for the metro area, just in case anything truly went wrong I figured they have some folks there that have some clue about SCI.

I was completely bed bound, I couldn't maneuver myself in the bed, I was in a lot of pain, when I pressed the nurse call button, it was 2 hours from the first push before anyone came and checked on why I was pressing the button.
    Just being in one position in the bed was painful enough.
    If I had been incapacitated more and not been able to direct the nurses, I would never have been turned and would have got a pressure sore. My knees were all ready beaten to pieces from the surgery !!

I couldn't even get fiber metamucil to deal with all the opiod constipation. Wife had to go home and get my supply from home.

I had insane hiccups, their answer, "we have nothing for that!" like WTF. 5 or 6 years ago I had to go to the emergency room for never ending insane hiccups, Please lookup what they gave in the emergency room as that was like magic. That's too much work, lets give you some baclofen and chlorpromazine. Neither seemed to have much effect, but I had the hiccups for a couple more days. As soon as I am strong enough I'm going to the emergency room to find out what drug I was given for hiccups, and tattooing it on my arm, little did I know how useful that information would be.

So I hate to admit, if I ever go in again I'll be taking all my medication in with me, and hopefully in the same way I used to take an umbrella with me when it wasn't raining hopefully I'll have no use for it, but I'm not going through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Don't attempt to take your own medications to any inpatient hospital stay. You will be required to relinquish these for storage during your hospitalization; no meds including herbs are generally allowed to be taken from your own supply while in the hospital. Better to have a discussion about pain management PRIOR to any hospitalization or surgery with the surgeon and anesthesiologist involved in your case.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Hi KLD,
    So I hate to admit, if I ever go in again I'll be taking all my medication in with me, and hopefully in the same way I used to take an umbrella with me when it wasn't raining hopefully I'll have no use for it, but I'm not going through that again.
    The main trouble is the are likely to catch you at it, take away your meds. and then you would be labeled a trouble maker and likely your care would suffer. My step-dad convinced my mom to bring him some bourbon once while in the hospital after a bad accident. he was an alcoholic. The staff caught on and barred my mom from visiting. My dad fell into a coma for 5 days.