Thread: World Sepsis Day: Sept 13

World Sepsis Day: Sept 13

People with SCI are at high risk for developing sepsis for a variety of reasons. Educate yourself on prevention, detection, and management here:

https://www.worldsepsisday.org/

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

KLD,

Septic Shock nearly took me out in June 2012. That is one infection you don’t want to mess with. Go to an ER if you have a high fever, vomiting, and disoriented. I had no symptoms the day before, at around midnight, I began feeling badly, I cathed in the shower and noticed some blood. I’m unaware if the blood would have been present in my urine or if I caused some irritation. Within hours, I deteriorated quickly. I finally went to the ER at around 6 or 7 AM. I lost my memory in the ER. I spent three weeks in the ICU hallucinating horrific nightmares.

I was fortunate, though, despite all of it. I didn’t lose any limbs or organs. It took about a month for me to regain my strength. I went from someone who could get into the wheelchair by himself from the floor to someone who couldn’t turn himself in bed. It completely drains the life of you.