Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with glycerin suppositories

Problem with glycerin suppositories

Ever since I weaned off of Valium I have required needing to use a suppository to stimulate my bowels to move.
    (Not sure how they were connected but they were)

Anyhow, they don't always melt very well and sometimes even after 6+ hours, haven't melted halfway. I was thinking about taking a syringe of some type with a rounded off tip, putting the suppository inside it and letting it soak in hot/warm water until its mostly/fully melted and then squirting the contents into the rectum.

Has anyone done this? Would it work the same?

FYI, I have tried Enemeez but they do not work for me.

Glycerine suppositories are not supposed to melt. They work by the glycerine being in physical contact with the mucosa (be sure you don't insert into stool) and the glycerine causing irritation of the mucosa, which causes increased peristalsis.

Enemeez is liquid glycerine, medicinal soap, and liquid DSS (Colace). All three are irritants to the mucosa.

Bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Magic Bullet) works differently, in that the chemical actually stimulates the myenteric plexis, which is the nerve network within the muscular walls of the intestine that control peristalsis.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

But they do melt.

So which should you use? And why? Is one better than the other for certain situations?

Would it be safe to use one of each?

Will insurance pay for the Magic-Bullet?
    Last edited by Scott C4/5; 09-13-2019 at 01:46 PM.

You should only use one suppository type, in my opinion. I am not sure what using two different types would accomplish.

As long as the Magic Bullet is prescribed, most insurance companies do cover it.

I would start with the Enemeez and if necessary, go to an every day program to begin to regulate your routine. Once you see a pattern of large results one day - small to no results the next, then I would go to an every other day program. Make sure you clean out the rectal vault before inserting the suppository. Insert the suppository as far up as you can and in about 10 minutes start doing digital stimulation for a couple of minutes at a time. The two in combination should bring any stool down. Sitting up on the commode does help to speed this up.

Hope that this helps a little.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My pharmacy doesn't deal with them, is there a medical supplier that does?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    My pharmacy doesn't deal with them, is there a medical supplier that does?
    Many insurances don't cover OTC medications, which include any type of glycerin or bisacodyl suppository. Magic Bullets are not cheap, and generally the best price is directly from the manufacturer: https://conceptsinconfidence.com/ind...emart&Itemid=2

You can also find them on Amazon and other on-line stores. Just Google "magic bullet suppository".

(KLD)

I saw on their website a pill called Magic Cleanse. Is that something that would replace Senna or Dulcolax pills and is it any better than those said supplements?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You should only use one suppository type, in my opinion. I am not sure what using two different types would accomplish.

As long as the Magic Bullet is prescribed, most insurance companies do cover it.

I would start with the Enemeez and if necessary, go to an every day program to begin to regulate your routine. Once you see a pattern of large results one day - small to no results the next, then I would go to an every other day program. Make sure you clean out the rectal vault before inserting the suppository. Insert the suppository as far up as you can and in about 10 minutes start doing digital stimulation for a couple of minutes at a time. The two in combination should bring any stool down. Sitting up on the commode does help to speed this up.

Hope that this helps a little.
    ckf
    MB. is not prescription as I know.
    try a fleets 4.5oz