Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a switch from manual to power.

hmmmmmmm, are you certain on that. mine was covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhm View Post
    I would love the zx1, that was my initial hope, but my insurance will not cover them unfortunately.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    hmmmmmmm, are you certain on that. mine was covered.
    This is what my wheelchair lady told me, "The Spinergy system is not coded for insurance coverage. "

I would love the zx1, that was my initial hope, but my insurance will not cover them unfortunately.
    don/t depend on them telling u the truth call ur insurance direct get names ask them to follow up email

I agree Rule #1 is Never trust the DME people.
    1 Most of them don't know that much.
    2 They look for the easy sale or coverage route because that is how they get paid.

On this issue I went through this change opted for power chair as my through insurance chair and will buy or have bought manuals on my out of pocket. But it was a major change and the zx1 is most likely a great option as well. I trust John and others that use them. It ultimately depends on your vehicle decision and whether you want to change that also. I waited quite a while then got permobil and drive from it. I am much more independent and do many more things out doors than before but i still use manual in house The bottom line is Don't put off Saving your shoulders and becoming less active outdoors . Also don't overlook used equipment to try out different solutions .

Good Luckl and One more thing So glad you are working with youth it's one of my biggest passions and fulfilling things I have done with since SCI!

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    don/t depend on them telling u the truth call ur insurance direct get names ask them to follow up email

Two comments: Have you pushed on your insurance company by sending a letter along with a doctor's statement?
    Are you familiar with your states' vocational rehabilitation agency? If you have a job paying you a wage, and/or you are seeking a job with paid wages you may be eligible for help with the cost of 'equipment that would enable you to do your job'. (I'm a retired voc.rehab. counselor).
    If those two avenues don't work, would your employer help by providing the ZX1 as "reasonable accommodation" - as stated in the ADA. I would not mention the law when/if you have a discussion with your employer on this issue.

Note that you would not need to transfer your body into the ZX1 like you would have to do in a power wheelchair. Most everyone I have come in contact with since getting my ZX1 is astounded at it. I'm guessing your insurance company has only limited, if any, knowledge of how it would be necessary for you. Remember that anything you do to push your insurance company may help the next person who comes along, whether they pay for it or not.

Contact John at Bike-on and see what he can do. If you do go for a ZX1, get lithium. Mine with SLA batteries gets around 2 or 3 miles at most on a charge while my other one with lithium gets around 9 or 10 at least.

that is incorrect. i did a self claim on mine with code K0108. No problem. call your insurance and advocate for yourself. you know how to reach me im happy to discuss do not let your dme talk u into a smartdrive, its not good for our injury level. not at all. at the end of the day do what works best for you and your lifestyle
    This is what my wheelchair lady told me, "The Spinergy system is not coded for insurance coverage. "
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have tried quite a few chaired. Some longer than others. My longest lasting chair with least issues has been the Rovi X3. There are some things I have learned though when looking at chairs. 1. Weight does matter as some are not fit for weight over 250 or 300 due to center of gravity etc 2. Drive wheel location is very personal to each. I can turn on a dime and elevator in a mid wheel which lets me navigate my work environment very well. Others look for outdoor use and indoor navigation is not so important so they look to rear wheel. Others find front wheel best as they get closer to things. 3. All chairs have their advantages and disadvantages.

if it were me I would first sit down and decide the most important features that cannot be compromised on
    features you can compromise on
    and features you are not interested in having

just like manual chairs I think most of us are a train wreck on our first power chair but this forum would really be a life saver for most if found BEFORE ordering their first chair and not 3 months into their 5 month adventure with that chair.

I used a manual only for the first 20 years of my C5-6 life then switched to a power when I moved to a farm. Never looked back. Everyone said I'd get fat, get weak, but it was just the opposite. It opened more doors for me to get out and do things, so I was more active.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein