Thread: muscle pulling tight - unstable core

muscle pulling tight - unstable core

My injury level is c6-7. Three years ago, my left leg fell off of the foot holder on an electric chair while I was tilted back. Three years before that I had weakened the muscles or something in the right side of my core area between the ribs and hips.

This leg drop has led to my muscles pulling my stomach towards the left thigh. Meanwhile, the area on the right side of my back wants to curve in.

I can't stretch my right side out, because the left side of my back is basically blown out. Is there any way to fix this? After the leg drop, I was unable to transfer to my left from wheelchair to bed.

I have a baclofen pump, but it is not helping this high, intense, constant muscle pulling that's occurring.

Has anyone had anything like this and found a solution?

Botox? Massage therapy? Drugs? Acupuncture?

I don't understand why this muscle pulling won't stop!

I don't like Botox. Had it twice in left bicep that was painfully toned. I couldn't tell it helped reduce excess tone at all. It took 4 years for the, pain to go away at injection spot (actually had a knot in muscle you could feel, massage it away, it would return).

Have you talked to your doc about adjusting your pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post

Have you talked to your doc about adjusting your pump?
    I haven't increased it in years. That's another option I guess. I just hate to go too high on this stuff.

The pump is a micro dose compared to oral tablets. When on tablets, I was too weak and sleepy all the time. I weened myself off of them. I know what your saying about going too high.
    Doc wanted me to do the pump trial, I almost did it. Grumpy due to pain (lvl 2 - 5, 24/7) is my side effect of no pump. May need one someday. I'll never again do the tablets, never ever.

When I got into bed my calf muscle would spasm and then the muscle around my rib cage would contract and somehow I would flip over on my back. The only way to break it was to roll over and try to bend in half. Then it would start again. The muscles got stronger and easier to trigger and my whole right side has way more tone than the left and was giving me a curvature. It was impossible to sleep. The muscles felt like they were super tight and needed a massage. Baclafen increases did nothing. I did find out I had a bladder infection so that was part of the problem. I went to a Physical Therapist and he found knots in the problem muscle groups and worked them out. I bought a pnuematic massager (Purewave) and it loosens up the muscles when I start having the problem again. I'm sure a good masseuse would be much better but isn't as convenient.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I echo 24/7 Quad. I would certainly talk to your prescriber about increasing your baclofen just a little. It may not take a lot and you are using very small doses.
    If you find that you don't get ay relief from it, you can always back your dose down.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.