Thread: shower transfer bench or chair

shower transfer bench or chair

Hello - I am a T12 para and have used an Invacare padded transfer bench for years. The bathroom in my new rental house is a bit narrow (normal 26" wide tub/shower combo) and I was thinking of just using Invacare's padded two cushion chair - is this a good solution? I realize that all 4 legs would be inside the tub vs. only 2 now.

Or are there other recommended options?

Thanks guys!

KeithR

Can you post a photo of the tub and bathroom set-up?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

hope this works - this if from the bathroom door, but a vanity is to the left and so not much room:

https://imgur.com/a/6hZgAC6

i'm worried that the transfer bench midway up the tub will be too wide into the space

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-12-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Of course I am unable to find a link now, but have you looked at the shower benches that just sit on top of the tub? They use short, rubberized, arms that you spread until the bench is firmly held in place. I used one for a year while living in an apartment with a small bathroom. You would be stuck at the height of the tub for your transfers, but as a T-12, hopefully you have a strong enough upper body that it is not an issue. I am a T-9 and had no problem. I've seen them both with and without a back attachment.

A word of caution against using a shower chair where all 4 legs fit inside the tub. I have to use those at hotels or my inlaws sometimes, but they should not be used like that for everyday use. If you get a normal one the legs will barely fit in a tub (especially if your's is particularly narrow) and that means they will constantly have pressure bending them in. If used on a daily basis it will eventually drive the screws out or bend the legs causing the chair to become unsafe. I am not a terribly heavy guy, but I have had a chair collapse at a hotel due to this exact problem.

Hey Keith, I the Invacare inv9872 padded shower chair is an excellent choice. I have used that chair for years I am a T-10 para. The only downside i have is that when you was your back side and get soap on the cushion. It becomes very slippery and sometimes I almost slide off. You might want to buy a sheet of dycem if you purchase one and put that on the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    Of course I am unable to find a link now, but have you looked at the shower benches that just sit on top of the tub?
    Here is an example. I assume you are in the USA, Keith? It doesn't say on your profile.

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/im...ard-38791.html

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    hope this works - this if from the bathroom door, but a vanity is to the left and so not much room:

https://imgur.com/a/6hZgAC6

i'm worried that the transfer bench midway up the tub will be too wide into the space

Thanks!
    Before we made a roll-in shower, the (cheap!) bench I had had a U shaped sitting spot with extra flat space that extended out and over the side of the tub. Two legs in/two outside, and very little intrusion into the floor-space made for easy transfers. I drilled a couple of new holes in the inner legs to put the pop-out-adjusters where all four legs were bearing weight and there was no rocking due to the relative height and slope in the tub.
    If intrusion was a problem I think I could have stood it out of the way in the tub; it was pretty light.
    Also, looking sat your deal, I would think that a bench at tub height would make for a tough transfer.
    And, for me, a backrest is mandatory; I want to be relaxed while showering!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thanks for finding it Nurse!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Here is an example. I assume you are in the USA, Keith? It doesn't say on your profile.

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/im...ard-38791.html

(KLD)

Thanks for the ideas!

It looks like I am going to have enough room for the transfer bench, but if things change I have a few options (and yes, I am in the US)

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    https://goesanywhere.com. Give me a call and I can get you a break on the price.

rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere