Thread: Recurrent UTIs and fecal transplants

Recurrent UTIs and fecal transplants

Has anyone had any luck in ending a recurrent UTI with a fecal transplant?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-years/597199/

It is an interesting concept and certainly one that is gaining some traction. It works extremely well with some people who have c.diff. It certainly makes sense and could work in a lot of individuals who are prone to UTI's.

I don't know anyone who has gone this route, but that is not to say people haven't. I will be interested in seeing if anyone who has, posts.

I would certainly encourage you to explore it.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This may sound dumb but couldn’t bacteria in the fecal transplant cause another bladder/UTI infection? I will try anything that would help, right now I’m being treated for the fifth day out of seven for a very stubborn bladder/UTI infection with intravenous antibiotics (Meropenem).
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

It is not a dumb question. The idea behind a fecal transplant is that it replaces the bad bacteria with good bacteria. And the bacteria is site friendly. I am not sure that it will make a difference in UTI's, but if the bacteria is common to your body, it would be less likely to cause an infection.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.