Thread: stool softener and dig stim

stool softener and dig stim

i take 2 senna s stool softeners a day sometimes my poop is just to soft to dig out is the purpose of the softener just to make the poop softer

i use half a suposotory and lots of dig stim im wonderin if anyone just does the dig stim and no supository

i have a dr appointment coming up ill ask her to

thanks yall
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I can’t take stool softeners as I end up with poop to soft to do anything with... they automatically prescribed them after my accident as constipation is so common with SCI. Has never been an issue for me even though I’m nearly 20 years in.

Did you take them prior to SCI?
    This too shall pass...

Senna is a stimulant, not a stool softner. Are you taking something else as a stool softener such as DSS (Colace)? If so, you can decrease or stop that, although it would be better to try to get off of chronic use of stimulants such as senna, in the long run.

The purpose of the suppository is to bring stool down from the descending and sigmoid colon into the rectal vault to prepare for evacuation. Dig stim is used to relax an spastic anal sphincter so that the stool can pass. If stool is already in your rectal vault when you check when starting dig stim, you may not need to use a suppository.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.