Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Suffering from it for some years, no permanent cure. I understand that it is seborrhea + fungal infection in immunologic compromised persons. Any suggestion? I've used steroid creams, anti-fungal etc. Is seborrhea a part of the SCI syndrome?
    C4-5,incomplete, 27th Dec.2000

Well one certainly should see a dermatologist. I typically find most things work for a while then stop. Desonide works very well for me, but should not be overused. There is a DHS Zinc shampoo that might help and a bar soap as well. Ketoconazole is the standard cream which for me stopped working after a while. Something called Bionect foam was helpful but the price in the U.S. is too high for me.

At one point I was diagnosed with a fungal infection and kept taking antifungals, and finally my dermatologist said this was actually seborrheic dermatitis, and I did not need to take antifungals.

Seborrheic Dermatitis is not a part of SCI. You may be a little more susceptible to fungal infections since your movement is impaired, but .....

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

SD has a genetic basis. I likely inherited it from m father. Stress evokes outbreaks. Cortisone ointments can control the outbreaks. It is usually the make ingredient in Rx medications. IMO, dermatologists practice something close to root medicine. If you believe in them they will alleviate some anxiety and stress and the symptoms will go away for a while.lol
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 09-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Genetics - the gift that keeps on giving!
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you all
    C4-5,incomplete, 27th Dec.2000

I've suffered from SD around my eyelids for 30 years. A lovely dermatologist told me to wash gently with a soft cloth and warm water, and with baby shampoo to keep the bits from irritating my eyes. Did that. About 6 months ago it got much worse, especially around my left eye.

I happened to read a few articles on the internet about how soap destroys the protective acidic barrier of the skin. It looked silly but I had nothing to lose by trying. Especially since my dermatologist was no help at all. Within 2 weeks my skin all over looked better, and within a month the problem around my eyes is not gone, but nearly. It appears to have been linked to sensitivity to both lotions and soap. I doubt it will leave completely but if it rarely needs attention I am thrilled. I put a bit of Vaseline over the eyelid area after washing with water.

In addition, skin on my limbs is much less dry and flakey.

Such an odd solution to find, but for me it has been helpful. And no, I do not stink.

Thanks for sharing. It makes sense that you might be irritated by the scents that they put in these products.
    ckf