Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Caster issues

  1. #11
    I have wide casters on a TR also. The spacers are not plastic they're aluminum. I had to file them down so as to reduce the drag.they work fine now and I've replaced the bearings several times since. The spacers go into the bearings so the axel never touches the bearing, and they are just too long to fit right you probably noticed when you removed the axel the wheel didn't fall out.

  2. #12
    **deleted due to duplication**
    Last edited by funklab; 09-07-2019 at 10:02 PM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southeast, USA
    Posts
    628
    When I got my last chair it originally had tilite litespeed casters on it (which yours seem to be). I had the same problem. It was like the aluminum spacer between the bearings was too short and when I tightened the axle it squeezed the bearings in to where they didn't spin freely. I eventually bought a set of froglegs aluminum wide soft roll casters, with their axle kit, and the problem went away. But being that your chair is brand new, I agree with Tetracyclone that you should make them fix it. It's obviously not supposed to be that way. I made tilite rebuild my entire frame because they got the first one wrong.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    I have wide casters on a TR also. The spacers are not plastic they're aluminum. I had to file them down so as to reduce the drag.they work fine now and I've replaced the bearings several times since. The spacers go into the bearings so the axel never touches the bearing, and they are just too long to fit right you probably noticed when you removed the axel the wheel didn't fall out.
    I think you're right, WTF though? Why would they make them obviously too wide? It takes some serious force to wedge it in there. Seems like a simple enough fix.



    For those of you who haven't seen this type of spacer/caster before I'll post a pic

    it's a little hard to see, but the spacer slots into the bearing.

    If I take it out and hold it by the spacers (which I can do since they're slotted in like that) it spins freely. If I clamp down with 10 pounds of pressure or so the caster stops spinning just like it is on my chair. I think spinner has the correct fix, which should be pretty easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I'm beginning to think you are trying to reduce dump. Cutting a wedge out of a Supracor cushion is no easy task. You do have another choice with the rear axle height if it is not maxed out or bottomed out since the TRA has adjustable dump.
    Not exactly reduce dump, more reduce the height of my knees while maintaining the height of my footrest. Or more precisely, I need to bring my footrest up so that my feet fit properly (too long right now), and in doing so it will make my knees too high to navigate life (can't get under the table at home, which means I can't get under several of the desks at the various locations where I work.

    I still might end up having to take my breadknife to the Supracor after modifying the caster forks. It's no easy task, you're right, but I've done it before. Takes a lot of time and creates one helluva mess (at least when you do it to a new unused cushion because of all of the little hole-punch like plastic pieces that come off of the supracor.).



    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I'd cut that excess fork off with a Dremel cutting wheel, file the ends clean, and move on. As for the caster spin, not unheard of for casters that sit on a shelf for a while to develop bearing issues. Can you spin them holding the center of the bearing with your finger tips? When off the chair, of course, do they still have resistance to rotation?

    edit: why the need to cut the cushion? Seat to footrest won't change raising the front .5" at the fork.
    Seems a shame to carve up a brand new fork, but I guess that's the simplest answer. I'll try to borrow a Dremel from someone at work, because I really don't want to buy one, I already have too many belongings.


    My goal is to lower the front end to allow me to raise the footrest (in comparison to the seat) while keeping the footrest to ground clearance at the same ideal height. Mostly just so I can get under stuff I need to get under at work and at home.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    When I got my last chair it originally had tilite litespeed casters on it (which yours seem to be). I had the same problem. It was like the aluminum spacer between the bearings was too short and when I tightened the axle it squeezed the bearings in to where they didn't spin freely. I eventually bought a set of froglegs aluminum wide soft roll casters, with their axle kit, and the problem went away. But being that your chair is brand new, I agree with Tetracyclone that you should make them fix it. It's obviously not supposed to be that way. I made tilite rebuild my entire frame because they got the first one wrong.
    I've been waiting 2.5 years to get this chair. I'll be damned if I let an incompetent DME anywhere near it. It'd be nice if they would fix it, but definitely wouldn't be worth the time they would take to do it (undoubtedly months), much less the things they would inevitably screw up in the process. When I went to pick up my chair I made sure what I ordered was on it, and then I ran away as quickly as possible. If anything needs adjusting or fixing it's on me now.

    I'd much rather spend a couple hours grinding down the spacers and refitting them than wait months for the DME to do their thing.

  6. #16
    The spacer you show is for a 3/4" hub caster. A standard spacer (shown below) is for a 1" hub caster. If you have a 1" hub caster, you have the wrong spacer. That may be the problem. Otherwise, it's the bearing. The fork opening is designed to be slightly narrower than the caster/spacer. Otherwise there may be play. I pace the spacer into place as good as possible (it won't go all the way into place as you mention). Then I place a screwdriver between the caster and the fork and pry the fork width open to slide the spacer further into place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by August West; 09-07-2019 at 10:53 PM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    The spacer you show is for a 3/4" hub caster. A standard spacer (shown below) is for a 1" hub caster. If you have a 1" hub caster, you have the wrong spacer. That may be the problem. Otherwise, it's the bearing. The fork opening is designed to be slightly narrower than the caster/spacer. Otherwise there may be play. I pace the spacer into place as good as possible (it won't go all the way into place as you mention). Then I place a screwdriver between the caster and the fork and pry the fork width open to slide the spacer further into place.
    I'm curious what makes you say this is for a 3/4" hub caster (tbh I don't even know what that measurement or "hub caster" refers to). My casters are strangely offset where the spacer on one side is longer than the other because the bearing is offset to one side of the caster. I don't think the type of spacer you showed in your picture will work because it is not necked down to fit inside the bearing.

  8. #18
    If I recall correctly, your picture of your new chair shows that your casters are 1.5" (width of the tire). This may be the one you have (probably the case for a new TiLite chair):

    https://www.dmehub.net/TiLite-4-x-1-...as112041-z.htm

    Or this may be the one you have:

    https://www.dmehub.net/4-x-1-4-EPIC-...p/frg-lt4b.htm

    These two casters have similar tire widths (1.5" vs 1.4") but they may have different hub widths (0.75" vs 1") so they may require different spacers. Here is a reference for the spacers:

    https://www.dmehub.net/searchresults...spacer&Submit=


    BTW you should have 2 bearings not just one.

    As someone mentioned before, go for the low hanging fruit first. Remove the caster from the fork stem and hold it with two fingers where the spacers would be. Squeeze to put some force on it (the same amount as it would have when in place) and then spin the caster. Does it spin freely? If yes, then your bearings are fine. If no, then you have bad bearings.

    Once you have eliminated the bearings as the problem and the problems still persist, then you have an assembly issue. Either the wrong parts (first guess would be the wrong spacer, second guess would be missing spring washer) or you are overtightening.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    My casters are strangely offset where the spacer on one side is longer than the other because the bearing is offset to one side of the caster.
    I have never heard of this configuration. I would explore this further. My understanding is that there should be 2 bearings and an internal spacer in between. This internal spacer is in addition to the two external spacers.

  10. #20
    I don't know who is responsible for the delivery of the chair, Tilite or the DME. My guess it's the DME. They delivered my chair with loose and missing parts. You could be missing parts.

Similar Threads

  1. Travel Bowel Issues/ Digestive issues
    By dlury24 in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 11:37 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM
  4. tilite zra2 issues : caster wobble
    By quintooo in forum Equipment
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
  5. Help w/ Caster Spacer issues
    By voxina in forum Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •