Thread: Venous Access Port

Question Venous Access Port

I am a C2-C3 quad of 25 years. The veins in my arms are scarred and over-used. I am looking into a permanent access port for blood draws and IV therapy. I was told by a recommended vascular surgeon that venous access ports are only placed in the chest. As a ventilator patient I hesitate to implant anything in my chest as I was told it could damage a lung resulting in a pneumothorax and inability to utilize my cough-asssist.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with venous access ports? If so, where is it placed and did you have an option of position?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by grpj View Post
    I am a C2-C3 quad of 25 years. The veins in my arms are scarred and over-used. I am looking into a permanent access port for blood draws and IV therapy. I was told by a recommended vascular surgeon that venous access ports are only placed in the chest. As a ventilator patient I hesitate to implant anything in my chest as I was told it could damage a lung resulting in a pneumothorax and inability to utilize my cough-asssist.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with venous access ports? If so, where is it placed and did you have an option of position?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a power port implanted under my right pectoral muscle. I have had it for around 1 1/2 years. When its not being used we flush it once a month with saline and heparin. I have never heard anything about it possible damaging my lung.

Thank you very much for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by grpj View Post
    Thank you very much for your input.
    Anytime! If you have any other questions ask away.

Another Power Port user here, since February 2018. C7, so no ventilator. Mine is about an inch and a half below my right clavicle. I've never had any trouble with it even though the oncologist forgot about it after installation and it didn't get used or flushed for 6 months. Fortunately no problems.

Thank you very much for your input

Never heard of the lung issue, but I will research it and if there is anything in the literature, I will post. Give me a day or so.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Never heard of the lung issue, but I will research it and if there is anything in the literature, I will post. Give me a day or so.
    ckf
    Thank you very much. I was told this information many years ago. It made sense to me then, but I could accept that there is now better technique, better supplies, etc.