Thread: Moving out

Moving out

I have been living at home with my parents since my accident for about 20 years. I have been thinking about moving out many different times. I just don't know where to start. I live in the country and the nearest town is only about 1000 people. I imagine I would have to move to a bigger city to find aides. I don't know how many aides I would need and if they would have to be live in or not. More there be some type of state agency that could help? Like human services? Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Clint.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

Once you identify the city you want to move to, I would suggest contacting the Independent Living Center in that area to see what resources they can link you to. This is a consumer-run advocacy organization for people with disabilities. Here is a link to those in North Dakota: https://acl.gov/programs/aging-and-d...pendent-living

State Plan for Independent Living - SPIL (PDF)

Centers for Independent Living:

• Options Interstate Resource Center for Independent Living
      318 Third Street, Northwest
      Cavalier, ND 58220

• Independence, Inc.
      2000 Burdick Expressway East, Suite C
      Minot, ND 58701
      Phone: 701-839-4724

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I have been living at home with my parents since my accident for about 20 years. I have been thinking about moving out many different times. I just don't know where to start. I live in the country and the nearest town is only about 1000 people. I imagine I would have to move to a bigger city to find aides. I don't know how many aides I would need and if they would have to be live in or not. More there be some type of state agency that could help? Like human services? Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Clint.
    wow, 1,000 people. where I grew up there were that many people on my block .

I have two good friends who have lived at home independently, one in the town where I live, and one a couple hours inland.
    The population where I live is only 865, so close in size to yours. There are many decent care givers in our area and they both have been able to keep the amount of staff they need. The friend inland lives in a college town and many of her caregivers were students from the university. My friend nearby is on Medicaid and her services were paid through this.
    There should be a Senior and Disabled Services in the county you live in, I would think.
    Best of success working this all out.
    Love
    Jnanda
    Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Chronic Pain Disorder