Thread: Changes to Bladder Botox Technique

Changes to Bladder Botox Technique

Question. For those who get the bladder Botox. My Urologist just attended a conference where they presented information saying it was unnecessary to do 20-30 different injections in different spots of the bladder. That he has had success with only injecting in three spots. I am wondering if any of you know how many injections and amount you receive. My current, which has been since 2010 and every 6 month has been 200 units and 20-30 injections. I have my next one coming up in a about two weeks and my urologist would like to cut down to 10 spots and see if it works. I guess I should have asked or clarified with him as to the other Urologist patient population. If they are patients that developed incontinence or do they have neurogenic or spastic bladders. To me I would think the issue behind the incontinence would determine, or may determine the number of sites needed. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    Question. For those who get the bladder Botox. My Urologist just attended a conference where they presented information saying it was unnecessary to do 20-30 different injections in different spots of the bladder. That he has had success with only injecting in three spots. I am wondering if any of you know how many injections and amount you receive. My current, which has been since 2010 and every 6 month has been 200 units and 20-30 injections. I have my next one coming up in a about two weeks and my urologist would like to cut down to 10 spots and see if it works. I guess I should have asked or clarified with him as to the other Urologist patient population. If they are patients that developed incontinence or do they have neurogenic or spastic bladders. To me I would think the issue behind the incontinence would determine, or may determine the number of sites needed. Thoughts?
    Interesting question. I think my urologist administers more than 30 injections (300 units per the dose I first received when participating in the original clinical trials). Ask your doctor for the journal articles that are supporting fewer injection sites. I would be interested to read the study(ies).

Just discovered this article about a new-to-the-market medical device offering more precise dose administration of Botox. While not mentioned in the article, the motivation behind the creation of the device, to administer fewer injections with, hopefully the same results, is probably to facilitate urologists who are newer to the procedure and/or less skilled at it.

https://www.ncbiotech.org/news/uro-1...active-bladder

ETA: It seems that this device was created with intention of reducing the risk of urine retention among non-SCI patients experiencing overactive bladder (OAB) issues and who then may be required to self-catheterize. Urine retention is precise result that those of us are looking for to prevent leaking.

Last edited by stephen212; 09-06-2019 at 01:20 PM.

All I know is the Urologist that was speaking at the conference works in Minneapolis and does Botox bladder injections daily. I am having second thoughts on so little injection sites. I want to ask more questions, want more information. I want to know this is being done with success on spinal cord patients. Not just people with incontinence issues.

I can see the advantage if it works. Office procedure, 3 injection, 1-minute procedure, done. I just don't see how this is going to work with a bladder that is "wired" wrong all over and spasms constantly like mine. It's awful. Even with the Botox I still take enabled 15mg ER.