Thread: Leg pain

Leg pain

L1 Burst fracture injury. I can use thigh muscles in my legs enough to stand and make transfers easy. I have sensation on the tops of my thighs, nowhere else below the waist.
    My problem is my leg pain during the day. After sleeping, it is lower, and as soon as I start sitting upright, the pain grows and grows throughout the day. I'm currently on 1800mg of gabapentin per day, plus oxy, but I'm thinking about dropping the gabapentin since it doesn't help that day pain.

I don't describe the pain as burning, but I associate it more as I recall wearing shoes that were about 2 sizes too small. It starts off annoying, and the ache gets worse and worse. If I REALLY focus on a certain spot, trying to describe the pain... It lessens in that particular spot, but comes back immediately when I move my concentration to a different spot.

I've tried cannabis, different strains with edibles or vaping, and it doesn't do anything. Sometimes 3 shots of alcohol works, but that seems like a really dark path and I, so far, refuse to use alcohol for pain relief.

The pain is highest on my ass, but exists everywhere I have no sensation. Like I said, it gets worse and worse as the day goes on until I lie down (at which time other pains kick in, but that isn't what I want to talk about)

Does anyone else describe their pain this way? If so, have you found anything that helps?

If I stand, it hurts far less when I do so, but the pain is immediately back when I stop standing
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

C3 incomplete with L and T issues.
    I have similar symptoms, mostly left leg and butt. Leg/butt pain reduces when in bed and when I stand or walk/wobble.
    This pain started just after injury while in hospital and some sensations began to return.
    A sonic scan showed I had a DVT. After 2 sessions of Lovenox I felt it when it cleared, pain diminished. A month later, DVT returned. Now on Warfarin for life. Not saying that a DVT is your problem but it might need investigating.

Gabapentin helps my nerve pain/burn/tingle. I don't think it will help muscle or joint pain. I was taking 2100 mg a day. A few years ago I weened down to 600-900 mg. Can't live without it but I found my minimum dose as I do with all pain meds. Blurry vision is a lot less since reducing mg.

I think you can become tolerant to Oxy (a dark path best avoided unless necessary). Whiskey helps but makes legs weak and makes me weak and sluggish the whole next day.
    Beer, for some reason no doc can explain, makes my nerves burn. I still have a few occasionally but have to take an extra Gabapentin afterwards.
    Canibus just before getting in bed has been a good sleep aid for me. Sometimes when I hurt bad due to activities (pushing my abilities to hard), a small amount during the day will help me forget pain but makes me a zombie.

A layman's perspective, and just something for you to compare with your issues.

Thank you for the information, and your response.
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

I have a T12-L1 incomplete injury, and have very similar pain, as you. My pain follows down, and is all around the bit of nerves I can feel down my legs, and of course the butt. Spent two years laying around on my hips, because my butt pain exploded if I put pressure on it. Like you, if I lay very still, at night, it gets less. It also goes on a cycle, building up to the point, where I don't want to live any more, then dropping off, only to start all over again. This about two week cycle of hell, after eight years, left me looking for anything to help. Got two years of helpful relief, with massive amounts of cannabis oil suppositorys. But like everything else it quit working. Opiates are helpful, CBD oil helps a bit.
    But then I got a spinal cord stimulater put in, and it's been helping alot. It's a work in progress, but it has totally stop the cycle of pain, that was so devastating. Now I still have pain, but much less, and the pain meds work a lot better.
    Good luck, this nerve pain, can be hell.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Blog Entries
    Who doesn't get leg pain , I'd love to know. I'm constantly suffering , drives me batshit crazy, I can only try to distract myself from it. Opiates yes, but I am going to try , yet again, the Boston scientific spinal stimulator with hopes that I get some measure of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Who doesn't get leg pain , I'd love to know. I'm constantly suffering , drives me batshit crazy, I can only try to distract myself from it. Opiates yes, but I am going to try , yet again, the Boston scientific spinal stimulator with hopes that I get some measure of relief.
    I take it, you didn't have any luck, with the first one? Let us know how it goes with your scs. I am so glad I got mine, but it's quite a bit of messing around with it. Definitely not a one and done, but hell, I'm retired anyway.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old